The white, fresh and cool linen on the bed gave Victoria even more of an appetite for sleeping. She changed into the nightgown her mother had packed for her and as soon as she laid her head on the pillow, she fell asleep.

But something woke her up in the middle of the night. She couldn't figure out what exactly. But she was wide awake. Perhaps it was the pendulum in the piano room announcing the third hour of the night... Or a whisper from a dream she couldn't remember, as hard as she tried. Still, something definitely woke her up.

She got up and poured herself a glass of water from the jug on the coffee table. She unwillingly saw her reflection in the mirror, so vivid and clear in the moonlight coming through the window. She got even closer to the mirror and, for a second, it appeared that behind her there was a flicker, a pale candle light. She turned around, thinking that a firefly might have entered the room. But there was nothing there. She swiftly reached for the bed and covered herself with the blanket, all the way to her chin. She touched the silver pendant hanging from her necklace; she never went anywhere without it. Inside she kept a photo of her dearest parents, which calmed her every time she saw it. Soon enough, the thought of them threw her in a deep sleep, with sweet dreams and lullabies sung in her mother's soft voice...

The sun was high up into the sky when Victoria opened her eyes. The clatter of piano keys woke her up, a sure sign that her aunt's most devoted students were eagerly practicing their skills. She went down to the kitchen, where Matilda greeted her with an ear-to-ear smile.

'Good morning, Miss Victoria! Ready for a day in the countryside?'

Victoria smiled, grabbed a butter tart with raspberry jam, and took a sip of the refreshing mint tea and, between bites, she muttered:

'I can hardly wait to take a stroll on a beautiful day like this... Too bad I can't find anyone to join me...'

'Don't worry, Miss. Sometimes it's better to go alone; this way you'll see things that otherwise would go unnoticed.'

Victoria smiled with all her heart and got out of the kitchen with the tart in one hand and her favorite book in the other. She had planned to find a quiet spot where to read quietly. She didn't understand why she had to roam the village, from one end to another. What marvel could this forgotten place be hiding?

The day was going to be as hot as the one before. It was past ten and she could already feel the sun caressing her skin with burning beams of light. She had put on her straw hat with blue ribbons and started off on the cobbled street, being watched over from both sides by nice and clean little cottages, with gardens filled with flowers and as neatly as her aunt's.

She was surprised when she found, not two, but three antiques stores shops. The villagers were truly jolly and kind. The men, mostly masters, merchants or simple traveling salesmen, would take their hats off with obvious solemn gestures; while the women would take a small bow. Even the kids would wave their hands, greeting her. She bought apples from a fat village woman and peaches from an old man who gave her a large, toothless smile. She also bought a wicker basket in which the fruits could indulge as they wanted. And she went on to the end of the village, where the reign of the forest started. The way over there seemed as nice as it had been the entire morning. The sun had already taken over the entire village, and, one by one, people started to disappear from the streets, searching for bowery places. Her only companion was a hot, yet gentle, wind. She could barely see two feet in front of her due to the bright light, so she hurried to the long-awaited forest shade. The bright light had also a significant impact on her: she didn't see the rock that appeared out of thin air, tripped over it and fell down, book and fruits flying in the air. She hardly got up, checked her bleeding knee and dabbed it with her white handkerchief marked with her initials which she always carried around. As she wanted to get up, she saw a hand reaching towards her. A blond boy with blue eyes and sun burnt skin was smiling at her. Victoria accepted his help as naturally as she could.