Chapter 3

"Should we park here for the night?" Mark asked quietly, thinking Sam and I were asleep peacefully in the back.

"Maybe, or do you want to swap and I will drive while you rest?" Jack suggested.

"Yeah, let's do that if that is okay with you" Mark responded. Jack nodded happily. He opened his door. He suddenly fell to the ground. I looked to a zombie on top of him trying to bite him. I jump out and punch the zombie hard in the side of it's head. It rolled off, only to stare at me angrily.

"Oh god" I muttered worriedly. It jumped up and growled again. I sprinted off down a nearby hill.

"HANNAH!" Mark called as I ran down. I slid down the steep hill. I noticed a river at the end, and as I desperately tried to slow down. I noticed the zombie sliding close behind me, but my desperate efforts to slow down were for naught and I went flying off the edge and into the river. I screamed loudly in fear as I was trapped between the agressive currents.

'Oh my god....this is the end' I thought to myself, terrified of the outcome of the fall. I mid air swung around and hit the zombie in the head with my gun as best I could. It went flying the other way. As I turned, I crashed into the freezing cold water of the rushing river. I struggle but the water was pulling too strong. Suddenly, someone jumped into the river. I looked above the water for a second. Mark! "Mark!" I screamed. His head flung around. He quickly swam over, trying as hard as he could to beat the strong current. He grabbed my waist and began pulling me out of the water. I gasped for air as my head came back up. He swam as hard as he could to get to the rivers bank. He pulled me up out of the water and jumped out himself. I laid down on the river bank, coughing.

"Are you alright?" He asked, sitting up and looking at me.

"I'm fine, thank you Mark. I'd be dead without you" I said.

"No problem" He said. I shivered a little. He hugged me tightly and stood up. Jack and Sam ran to the top.

"HANNAH! MARK!" They both screamed.

"We're over here!" Mark called calmly. Jack and Sam's heads looked our way. They smiled.

"You're okay! Thank god!" They said. We both smiled. Jack ran up to the car.

"We are going to find something to lift you up!" Sam said. We both nodded again. Something shifted in the bushes. I held up my gun. The zombie I hit appeared.

"You don't give up do you?" I wondered aloud. I hit him again once again. I didn't want to shoot him if I didn't have to. He tried to attack me and I backed off quickly, with a slightly worried Mark behind me. I put my hand on the trigger. "Please, I don't want to kill you" I told him, aiming the gun at the zombie. He came way to close. I looked away and pulled the trigger. The noise echoed through the otherwise quiet woods. I closed my eyes and hung my head, lowering my gun. I put the safety cap on and put it back in my jean pocket. I opened my eyes and looked at the dead zombie. I backed away. Mark hugged me and looked me in the eyes.

"I know it's hard to kill them Hannah, but we have to, or other wise they'll kill us" He told me. Jack and Sam lowered a rope down over the edge. Mark let go of the hug and we made our way towards the water. The rope was too short.

"We're going to have to go back through the water" I announced.

"Alright" he said. He picked me up. "Hold on tight and don't let go okay?" He said. I nodded understandingly. He began walking through the water with no trouble. But the water pulled too strong, and knocked him over. He turned and threw me towards the rope. He began being pulled down the river.

"MARK!" I screeched, trying to grab his hand. I missed narrowly. I tied the rope around my waist. This is a rescue mission now. "Guys! Lower the rope more!" I called out. They nodded and lowered it. I grabbed onto Marks hands. "Look at me ok?" I said, pulling him closer. I got him close to the edge when the rope snapped. "No! Dammit!" I said. Mark grabbed onto me and held on to a rock. At the last minute, my hand slipped out. He tried to grab it again, but failed. I slid down the river at tremendous speed. I looked ahead of me. I screamed, looking ahead. Mark's eyes widened. He scrambled around trying to find the rope. But it was too late. 

"WATERFALL!!"

 I went over the side of the waterfall, screaming.