Chapter 1

Quiet. The peaceful sound of literally nothing but the soft swish of leaves as they gracefully fell off the branches of their host tree. The middle of fall was a perfect time for someone to sit out on a bench and just listen to the soft sounds of the season. Around this time of year, Zane is often found sitting alone in said place. A bench in a quiet little neighborhood park was just right for the small male as it gave him the peace he needed to think. Most of the time it's dangerous to leave him alone to his thoughts, but today he found himself wondering small things. Should I go to the café today and try the new desert they have? Or Should I take a small jog around the high school track up the street? Little things like that. However, Zane was snapped out of his thoughts almost instantly when he felt someone nudge his shoulder. When he opened his eyes he had found himself staring at one out of the very few friends he has. Aphmau. Aphmau was a nice girl, they shared most of the same interests and was the only one willing to give Zane a chance at the time. He pondered why she would interrupt his thought process until she spoke.

"Sorry, you were asleep on the bench. I didn't want you to get your face drawn on by some weird teenagers." She giggled and it made Zane suspect if there was already markings on his face. He brushed it off however and stood up, dusting the leaves off his pants as he did so.

"Was I really asleep?" she nodded in response to his question as he looked down at the seat he had been sitting in. "Do you know how long?"

"More than 10 minutes I can tell you that. I should know, I watched you."

"Aphmau!"

"What?! You're a cute little nugget when you sleep! I couldn't help it!" Zane huffed and a blush dusted his cheeks. He honestly hated the nickname 'nugget' that was given to him. "It's supposed to rain soon....so what in the world were you doing sleeping on a bench? Do you WANT to get sick Zane?"

"No...I was just thinking."

"Oh No"

"Hey! It wasn't anything bad...I was pondering over wither or not to go to that new café down the street..."

"Oh right! The one that sells the amazing hot chocolate!" Her eyes lit up. Zane had always admired that about her, the way she gets excited over even the tiniest thing. Honestly the little things she does is what keeps his emotions at bay. Without her...he would have probably been a wreck by now, or even worse. Dead. If anything happened to Aphmau, he honestly didn't know what he would do. (Foreshadowing) Just the simple thought of anything bad happening to her is enough to send him raging or sometimes when he thought for too long he would end up crying his eyes out. Zane shook the thought from his head before he started tearing up in front of her.

"How...How about we go there before you head home?" He offered and before he had the full sentence out she was clinging to his arm.

"YesYesYesYes!" Like an over excited child...He heaved a sigh and shook his head, a small smile forming under his mask.

"Then let's go shall we?" With those words...he was off, Aphmau still clinging to his arm. Anyone who didn't know better would have thought they were dating, but both of them would get flustered and quickly prove them wrong. Aphmau was most likely dating Aaron and Zane...well Zane had little to no interest in love. Anyone he could ever consider was either taken or well they probably only tolerated him. As Zane got lost in thought, his mind began to shift to sweets and other goods. He often found the smell of freshly baked muffins or cake to be some of his favorite smells. Then his mind drifted to the smell of vanilla for some reason. He never questioned his mind, as it drifted to places he didn't even know existed, but as the simple smell of Vanilla filled his mind he found himself blushing.

"Zane? Your face is red..." Shit! Busted. "Are you ok?"

"Y-ya...I don't know why my face is red...I was thinking of vanilla and it just...happened?" Zane honestly didn't know why he felt like he needed to explain it to her. "Does that make sense??"

"Sort of...But why would you blush at the thought of vanilla?"

"I honestly don't know..."

"Mmm" she went silent as they approached the café and as they pushed the doors open, the silence was filled with her small squeals of excitement. A small hot chocolate and a mini to-go cake for Aphmau, and a coffee and some to-go donuts for him. After paying and getting their treats they began to make their way back down towards Aphmau's house.

"Maybe..." her voice filled the peaceful silence as they walked. "Maybe that thing you mentioned earlier...err you were thinking of...vanilla? Right?" Zane gave a small nod to confirm her question. "Well, maybe the scent of vanilla reminds you of something you like..." she went silent "or someone" Zane tensed up and looked over at her. She had a grin plastered on her face and Zane just narrowed his eyes at her.

"Ok that's it, no sweets for you!" He had taken the cake package from her hands and held it above her head. Making her pout.

"No fair!" Zane snickered as she tried to get it back. Aphmau was one of the only people actually shorter then him, and he enjoyed using it to his advantage.

"Fine, but don't go saying things like that...you know how I get when on the topic of...that"

"Yes yes, I know now gimme mah cake ya dork" Zane handed her cake back to her, but as soon as he went to forward to continue walking again, he ran face first into another person. Backing away as he nearly fell backwards, he rubbed his forehead and looked to see who he ran into. Finding a certain white haired male sitting on the ground. The sweet scent of vanilla lingering in the air and the faint snickering from a certain female.