Chapter 7: Jillian's Story...Part 1 (edited)

Start from the beginning

I shook my head trying to get rid of the thought. I kicked a few rock with my beat up shoes as the driver shouted for me to get in. I couldn’t stop this from happening to me so I sucked up my emotions, wiped my tears and gave my family a big smile. It was time for me to go.

I got on the bus and was overcome by a horrid stench. It was already hot. I knew this ride wasn’t going to go well. I stood against one side of the bus and slid down. There were at least twenty other girls. It was so cramped that I had to keep reaching around girls to prevent cramps. One girl took it upon herself to take up refugee on my lap. I would have pushed her off, but decided against it. We were all in the same predicament.

“Uh…what’s your name?” I tried to make conversation with the girl on my lap, since she was on my lap. She wasn't exactly a feather either. My legs were going numb but I digressed. “I’m, Jillian,” I gave her a small smile.

“Kylie,” she turned and said. “Sorry about your lap. A girl in the section I was sitting in had thrown up,” she scrunched hr nose like she smiled something bad.

“So my lap was the best you could do?” I frowned.

“You’re the only one that looks…” she looked around the dark bus that glowed like night vision goggles, “clean enough.” I would have said she was a little snobby if I didn’t wholeheartedly agree with her. The girls on here smelled, they were throwing up and some were even peeing themselves. I could smell the stench of urine emanating from a selected few, a bad aspect of being a werewolf.

“I see what you mean,” I said. I fanned myself trying to cool down my heated body. The air only blew a little and only the ones sitting near the front got any. Sweat soaked my forehead and back and my leg, thanks to Kylie.

The van came to an abrupt stop and that when I knew we were here. The driver opened the door and immediately I was blasted heat. One after one, each girl stepped out groaning. Although it was still blazing, it was a big improvement from the van.

As we stood there, a woman came to greet us. “Hello ladies, my name is Mrs. Bellows and I’ll be showing you to your rooms,” she said showing her extremely white teeth. She wore a blue pantsuit and right then I knew she had to be rich or at least upper middle class. She wore black heels that click methodically against the pavement. Her dark hair was pulled into a tight bun and she held a clipboard in her hands as she scanned all of us with her piercing gray eyes.

Mrs. Bellows turned and motioned for us to follow her. As soon as we went in, a lot of girls were lining the staircase. The all had creepy fictitious smiles fake. I was astute enough to know that since the smile didn’t reach their eyes, they looked dead.

“Most of these girls will be going off into auction within the next few days,” Mrs. Bellows explained. “Okay, wait here and I’ll be back to assign rooms.”

As we waited, a few guys in uniform came down the stairs, passing the smiling girls. One in particular, who looked to be the leader, stop and looked at us. He had dark hair and an even darker expression on his face. His eyes were faded green, dark and so void of life.

“Hello ladies,” he spoke in a deep voice. It was a simple greeting but something about it sent a chill down my spine. “I would love to spend some time with each of you…so we could get better acquainted,” he smiled revealing a few crooked teeth. He would be handsome if he didn’t have this bad vibe about him.

Now, sometimes I have a problem with keeping my mouth shut so I replied, “what if we don’t want to get acquainted with you?” I hadn’t meant for it to come out so harsh but once I saw the scowl on his face, I didn’t feel so bad. Many of the other girls started laughing and he walked off with his ‘friends’ trailing behind him.

Once Mrs. Bellows came back, she ordered us to follow her to our rooms. I took one step and then hands clamped around my mouth and waist. Someone was taking me away.

Once we were out of view, I was shoved up against the wall. I looked at my kidnapper and it was the guy from before. I squirmed, trying to get free and he pushed into me harder. He was too strong for me to just push away and besides, who am I kidding, I’m not the fighting type. “You think you’re funny, huh? No one make fun of Keegan.”

Wow he actually referred to himself in the third person. If he wasn’t trying to crush me with the weight of his body, I would laugh, “Look, I was just kidding. I didn’t mean anything by it,” I began panting, mostly because of him crushing me with his body. It was getting hard to breathe.

“Yes, I bet you were,” he tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. I flinched at his touch and he frown. “You’re quite beautiful, you know that?” he ran his tongue along his bottom lip, reminding me of a snake. “Well…”

I blinked twice and asked, “What?”

“I gave you a compliment. Now what do you say…?” he was so close that his breath fanned my face.

“Th-thank you,” I said so low that—to a human—it would be barely audible.

“Guess what?” he smirked, sending chills down my back.

“You’re going to be my special friend, my buddy in fact. The last one…didn’t work out so well. I hope you can hold up a lot better,” Keegan smirked and his eye showed nothing but evil intentions. “I will see you later. Oh, and don’t worry, when I do come for you I won’t be gentle but I’m sure you’d like it.” He took a strand of my hair and sniffed it. He was breathing in my scent and I shuddered at the thought of him smelling me or even touching me.

“N-no I won’t,” I stuttered.

“Wanna bet?” he moved back and walked down the hall until he was out of view.