Chapter Nineteen: Time of the Month

Slowly waking up, Briana felt a small twinge low in her stomach causing her to groan softly before she pulled her duvet closer to her; the room was cold and she just wanted to stay as warm as possible. 

Curling in on herself, Briana winced knowing that she hated this part of the month; she sighed slowly climbing out of her bed and dreading what the sheets would look like when she checked. 

Brushing her fingers annoyed through her hair, a quick glance down confirmed to Briana that she had indeed started her period; she hated it when this happened. 

Muttering to herself, Briana hurried to run herself a bath so that she could clean herself up; she wrinkled her nose glad that she had the apartment to herself right now. 

Stepping back into the bedroom, Briana made her way over to her bed and started to change the bedding; she wanted to have it washed before Lionel came home so he wouldn't see. 

Briana listened closely to the bath filling, she hated the feeling that she got when her time of the month arrived and she was just glad that she could deal with it alone. 

She was about half-way done stripping the bed when there was a knock at her bedroom door, Briana paused looking up from what she was doing since she didn't know who it could be. 

"Yes?" Briana called not knowing who to expect, she held her breath as the door handle turned and in stepped Lionel; she stared at him wondering what the hell he was doing home. 

The smile quickly slide from his face as Lionel took in the scene before him, he stared at the blood that covered Briana and it made his stomach turn. 

There were guards outside so there was no way that anyone could have gotten into the apartment and hurt Briana; from where he was standing Lionel could also see the bedding had blood on.

"You're bleeding?" Lionel whispered taking a careful step forward, his brown eyes not leaving Briana frightened that if he did then something would happen; the sound of the bath running caught his attention, making him wonder if she was trying to hide this from him. 

Opening and closing her mouth, Briana tried to think of how she would explain this to him; judging by what she had been told by Ariana, this wasn't something that happened to Auleans. 

"I'll call for the doctor," Lionel murmured before quickly turning around and dashing off to make the call, he wanted to have the royal doctor here as fast as possible. 

The sooner that he could check Briana over the better, it would mean that she would be treated much sooner; the last thing that Lionel wanted was for anything to happen to his fiancée. 

"Leo... no," Briana squeaked watching him disappear, she hurried to stop the bath knowing that this was not what she had wanted; she cursed that he had come home early to see her like this. 

It was going to be hard enough to explain why this was happening to her, Briana had no idea how she would get Lionel to calm down after he had seen her covered in her own blood. 

Shaking her head, Briana rushed after him wanting to stop him before he could get the doctor to come here; the situation was embarrassing enough without having the doctor involved. 

Rounding the corner Briana swallowed spotting Lionel speaking on the phone, she ran her fingers through her tangled and knotted hair knowing already that it was too late. 

Turning around and walking back to her bedroom, Briana wanted to be washed and clean before the royal doctor arrived; she had little time to mentally prepare herself for the conversation that was going to happen.

***

"This is normal?" Lionel repeated staring at Doctor Charles Andrews, he sat down on the couch taking in the explanation that the royal doctor had given him; he almost couldn't believe what he was hearing. 

Sparing a look at Briana, Lionel swallowed a little stunned at what he was being told; he didn't want to believe that once a month his soul-mate would bleed. 

This had to be a cruel joke and Lionel couldn't imagine how Briana coped with bleeding so often; he wondered why he hadn't noticed that she did this in the three months that she had been his. 

"It is Your Royal Highness," Charles reassured him, understanding that this must be such a big shock for him; it was easy to forget that Briana wasn't from Aulea. 

Their two species might have looked similar but there was a lot of things that were different about them, it was going to take some time for the couple to get used to that fact. 

Lionel took a deep breath and nodded his head, he couldn't wrap his head around this and he guessed that it was just another thing that made the two of them very different. 

Watching Lionel, Briana chewed on her lip wondering what was going on inside of his head; she was just relieved that the doctor had known about what was going on. 

Charles had been able to explain this so much better than she could have, Briana couldn't imagine how she would have explained this to Lionel without making him even more confused; she crossed her legs glad that she had bathed before this. 

The bloody clothing and bedding had been stuck in the wash and Briana knew that she was just grateful that Lionel hadn't gone completely overboard and tried to take her to the hospital.

***

Curling up on the couch in her short sleeved pyjama set, Briana peeked at Lionel who was watching her closely something that he had been doing since the doctor had left; he hadn't let her out of his sight. 

He had insisted that Briana make herself comfortable on the couch, he didn't want her doing anything for the next week; Lionel wanted her to relax until this was all over. 

"Leo..." Briana murmured shaking her head, she couldn't imagine how he was dealing with this and she could only hope that he wasn't going to be like this, every time she bled. 

Ariana had told her how protective Lionel would become if their bonding remained uncompleted, Briana had hoped that it wouldn't ever reach this point where he rushed to let her out of his sight. 

Lionel perked a little hearing her call to him, he was sat on the opposite side of the room watching her in case she needed anything; he wanted her to be comfortable. 

Patting the space next to her, Briana offered him a reassuring smile just wanting to cuddle with him; she hated how quiet he had been since this had all begun. 

Slowly getting to his feet, Lionel sighed walking over to Briana wanting to comfort her; he wasn't sure what to do but he knew that there was no way he was leaving her alone right now. 

"I'm okay Leo," Briana murmured to him, she watched as he sat down next to her before cuddling into his side; she hated to see him so guarded when there was nothing wrong. 

There was no way that his parents were going to allow Lionel to duck out of his royal duties to look after her; Briana wanted to let him know that it would be okay to leave her alone. 

Lionel wrapped his arms around Briana and held her close, she was everything to him right now and he knew that with their wedding fast approaching that everything had to be perfect. 

The last thing that he wanted was for any drama to arrive at their door anytime soon.