Chapter Five: The Connection

Rubbing her eyes tiredly, Briana peeked at the clock on her bedside table and yawned wanting nothing more than to go back to sleep; she had barely slept in the past couple of days. 

It did sort of help that Christina had locked her in her room, Briana didn't know what it was but she kept having strange dreams about a certain prince; she had no idea what had brought this on but it was keeping her from sleeping. 

Briana found herself missing the man that she had barely said ten words to, she felt embarrassed about finding herself in this position when she doubted that he even remembered her. 

Sitting up in bed, Briana peeked around her bedroom and sighed knowing that it was going to be a long day; she ran her fingers through her hair trying to work out what she would do to entertain herself. 

This part of the house was so quiet and Briana couldn't help but wonder what was happening outside, she sighed moving out of her bed to stick the kettle on glad that she had her own kitchen and food. 

Wrapping her cotton wrap gown around her, Briana set about making herself some toast knowing that it could be another week before anyone remembered that she had been locked away in her room. 

Briana had no idea why she had even bothered coming with them, she had been happy with her life on earth and she would have sorted out her own living arrangements at some point. 

It was only that Carlos had insisted that she was family and should come with them that Briana was here; she knew no one would really miss her if she were to return to Earth. 

Making a decision in her mind, Briana moved to turn on her laptop to start doing some research; she wasn't going to put up with this anymore. 

It didn't matter how long it would take to save up for her own ticket back to earth and the cost of some apartment, Briana was determined to make sure that her time here with Carlos and his family was limited and she would have her own life without them soon enough.

***

Taking a deep breath, Lionel tried to ease his nerves before he stepped into Carlos's office; he had really come to see Briana, he hadn't seen any sign of her in a week and feared that something had happened to her. 

Of course, Lionel pretended to be visiting the ambassador on official business so that no one would know why he was really coming all the time; he wanted to break the news to Briana first before anyone else. 

It was strange that Briana had just disappeared after their meeting and there had been no sign of her at work recently at all; Lionel came to the offices each day hoping to see her and talk to her. 

"Prince Lionel. It is wonderful to see you again," Carlos greeted loudly attracting attention from those who worked in the offices, he smiled walking over to the prince surprised to see him again. 

Carlos had no idea why Lionel kept visiting but he was hopeful to push through a marriage with his daughter; he wanted to make sure that this was all going to work out in his favour. 

Forcing a smile, Lionel shook his hand trying to ignore the unpleasant thoughts that swirled around in Carlos's head; he knew that he planned on trying to marry Bethany to him but Lionel had no interest in her what-so-ever. 

Nothing was going to come of the meetings between Lionel and Bethany especially now that Lionel had met Briana; he hadn't been able to thank his dear cousin enough after she had introduced him to his mate. 

"You remember my daughter, Bethany," Carlos said quickly signalling for Bethany to approach them, he wasn't going to let this slip through his fingers; he wanted to do the best for his family.

Bethany strutted over to Lionel, her very skimpy dress making him frown at her knowing that it wasn't something anyone would wear for work; he felt himself tense just wanting to see Briana again. 

It was strange that she hadn't come into work and Lionel hoped that the strong connection between them wasn't making her ill; he wanted to know that she was okay after what had happened. 

"It's wonderful to meet you again Lionel," Bethany said smiling, she stepped forward to kiss his cheek making him glare at her; he knew how body guards were already tense with having him around Carlos and his family so much. 

It wasn't something that Lionel could really avoid when Briana seemed connected to them, he hated that she lived with them and it meant that he wasn't able to go to her home without raising suspicion; the last thing he wanted was for the media to find out he had found his mate. 

Bethany frowned a little disappointed that she didn't get to kiss him, she sighed knowing that she would have another chance soon; she couldn't wait for the annual ball that they had been invited to. 

It was a couple of days before Christmas and while Bethany knew that they didn't celebrate that on Aulea; they did have another holiday around the same time. 

"So what brings you here?" Carlos asked with a smile, he was surprised how often the prince was visiting and he hoped that it was some sort of good sign that he might marry Bethany. 

Christina was making sure that everyone was prepared for the ball in a couple of days and Carlos was hopeful that by the start of the New Year that Bethany would be engaged. 

Taking a deep breath, Lionel forced a smile as he realised that Briana wasn't at work again; he just hoped that she would be at the celebration ball.

***

Briana smiled to herself as she looked at the research that she had gathered, it was going to take her a while to save up the money to move back to Earth but she was determined to make the trip. 

There was no way in hell that she was going to ask Carlos or Christina for the money, she wanted to do this on her own so that she didn't owe them anything before she went home. 

Briana doubted that they would even miss her, no one cared for her and she was tired of being a foot-note in someone else's life; she sipped on her coffee knowing that the sooner she saved up the money the better. 

Leaning back on the couch, Briana wondered what she would do when she got back to earth; she as sure that things would work out for her better there. 

Briana got to her feet and moved to make herself something to eat, it was getting late now and she was worried that she would run out of food if they kept her locked away for much longer. 

Biting her lip, Briana tried to work out what to make for dinner; she was sure that she wanted to eat rice for the fourth night in a row, she would love to have a roast or something but didn't have the right food to do so. 

The sound of the lock on her door sliding open made Briana slowly turn around, she swallowed as the door opened and Christina stepped into the room; she had no idea why the woman would come and see her. 

They had never really talked before and Briana doubted that Christina would make this pleasant; the woman hated her for something that wasn't even her fault. 

"It's time we had a talk," Christina mused shutting the door behind her, she wanted to make sure that Briana knew her place in the family home now.