Chapter Three: Minor Surgery

"You can't be serious," Briana announced staring at her father, she crossed her arms wondering if this was some sort of joke; she couldn't believe that this was the first that she was hearing about this. 

There was no way that Briana was going to let this happen, she looked at Carlos wondering what was going to happen; she didn't know why she was just hearing about this now. 

Carlos chewed on her lip knowing that Briana had every right to be upset about this little surprise, he should have warned her about this when they had left Earth behind for Aulea. 

"I am sorry I didn't warn you," Carlos murmured knowing that this must have been a shock for her, he had wanted her out of the house for a few hours while the others were having theirs done. 

Carlos didn't trust that something wouldn't 'accidentally' happen to Briana, he knew how much his wife would like to make her disappear so that she could forget his affair. 

They had never really talked about what had happened and Carlos doubted that Christina would ever forgive him for what he had done; he wanted nothing more than to move on and focus on his new position. 

"It's just a small translation chip," Carlos tried to reassure, he'd already had his done and it didn't take longer than thirty minutes for them to do what was needed; it would allow her to understand what was being said to her by the natives of the planet. 

"That they want to stick in my brain," Briana replied not happy about this, she would have liked some sort of warning about this and she knew that this was going to have to agree if she wanted the assistant job. 

It was either that or she would be sent home and forced to sit in her bedroom alone since Briana doubted that she would be welcome to wander around the house when there were guests there.

***

Slowly coming around from the operation, Briana swallowed thickly trying to ignore the ringing in her ears; she didn't feel like she'd had anything implanted in her brain and she was glad for that. 

Opening her eyes, Briana stared up at the ceiling in the doctor's office waiting for a moment before she slowly reached up to feel her head wondering how they had done it; she swallowed nervously not feeling any sort of incision that had been made. 

"How are you feeling?" the doctor asked looking at Briana, the surgery had been a success and he hoped that the chip was working as well as it should; he watched as Briana slowly sat up on the bed that she had been resting on. 

Briana looked to the doctor, she was surprised how well she could understand him now and it was like he was speaking Spanish to her in her head. 

"I feel good," Briana said carefully, she felt unsure of herself and she hated to think what would happen with this chip sat in her head; she worried what would happen if it broke or something went wrong. 

Carlos watched his youngest daughter, he wanted nothing more than to head to the office and he knew that they were meant to be having a meeting with one of the members of the royal family. 

"You're free to leave. Just take it easy for a few hours," the doctor informed them, Briana nodded her head and carefully got to her feet; she peeked at her father who looked ready to go and she doubted that this was going to be an easy day. 

Briana followed after him as they left the doctor's office, she couldn't stop thinking about the chip that sat in her head and what it was doing.

***

"It's wonderful to meet you Your Grace," Carlos greeted with a smile, he had worked so hard to get to this point in his career and he knew that there would be certain things expected of his family now. 

He had yet to tell any of his children that they would be expected to marry people from Aulea to secure the family's ties to the planet; Carlos was doing his best to find good matches for all of them. 

Ariana Santos would have been a perfect candidate for Alexander to marry if she wasn't already married to her husband; she had two children with him and seemed quite content. 

"And you Your Excellency," Ariana replied smiling, she looked around knowing that she had come here for a reason and it had little to do with the man before her. 

Ariana was very aware that Carlos was looking to marry two of his children into the royal family to secure ties; she didn't know why he wouldn't want the same for his third.

 It was no secret that there was only one member of the main royal family unattached right now, Prince Lionel was still looking for his mate and Ariana had a feeling that her dear sweet cousin would be the main target for Carlos's eldest daughter. 

Ariana had done a little bit of research on the new ambassador and she was far from pleased with what she had heard about Bethany; she doubted her cousin would want someone like her as his wife and mate. 

"I had expected one of your cousins to come to visit," Carlos hinted knowing that there was so much opportunity for him right now to marry into that family; he wanted to secure his position and he would do it while he could. 

Not saying a word, Ariana moved to sit down on the couch and looked at Carlos; she wasn't going to let Bethany Suarez get her claws into Lionel and she knew that it was what Carlos would want. 

Her husband had supported her plans to find Lionel a better mate and how she was making sure that Lionel would meet her before he met her sister.

"Unfortunately they're very busy," Ariana said watching Carlos, she didn't like the man and he seemed like a bit of a coward; she had done her research well and knew quite a bit about him. 

It hadn't been easy, the amount of digging that she had been forced to do to find everything had been hard but worth it in the end; Ariana had no idea how he had stayed with Christina for so long. 

"Of course, Prince Lionel is still searching for his mate," Carlos mused moving to sit down, the search had been going on for so long and he was sure that upon meeting Bethany that things would become more one-sided.

His daughter would be the logical choice for a royal wife, the people of Aulea tended to marry their mates but several did marry for other reasons; it was something that Carlos was hoping for. 

"Not for much longer," Ariana murmured under her breath, she wasn't going to let her cousin suffer much longer; he was already considering just marrying to further the line and add connections to the family. 

No one wanted that for Lionel and Ariana knew that he would thank her for what she was doing; she had sensed that there was something within the Suarez family that he would want. 

The office door opened and Briana entered carrying a tray with drinks, she set them down on the desk knowing that this was important meeting and she didn't want to really interrupt. 

"This is Briana... my assistant," Carlos introduced, he didn't notice how Briana paused at his words only knowing that it was better to tell everyone that so that they didn't ruin his chances. 

Ariana pursed her lips, she looked at Carlos knowing that he was really pushing his luck right now and he was going to regret it.