Chapter 7: "Laughs and Bubbles"

IVAN'S POV

  I took my seat at the dining table and couldn't help but blush.

  Everyone's eyes were on me, I was pretty sure they'd all heard Raine scold me. How embarrassing... I was her boyfriend, I'm supposed to be able to comfort her when she's upset.

  I fidgeted with my fork not daring to look up, specially not at him. The creak of a chair broke the silence and I saw the ginger get up.

  "If you don't mind Mrs. Brooks, I'd like to go see if I can help Raine," she said in a small voice.

  I looked over at Mrs. Brooks and saw she'd clearly been deep in thought from the confused look on her face. "I'm sorry sweety, what was that?"

  "I was wondering if I could go see if Raine's alright."

  Raine's mom smiles, "Oh Maple, you don't have to do that."

  Maple pushes in her chair and smiles back. "It's okay. I want to." Then she walks out of the dining room.

  Mrs. Alvarez and Mrs. Brooks turn to look at each other with surprised looks. Then they start whispering and I'm able to catch Raine's and  Maple's names.

  I feel my foot bump into something and instinctively pull it back.

  For the first time my eyes look directly forward and our eyes lock.

Gosh, he was adorable.

  I feel the tap on my foot again and I know it's him. It's his foot against mine. His eyes twinkle and he looks down bashfully. I can see a hint of pink on his cheeks. A big smile begins to spread across my face and I have to bite my lip to keep a straight face.

He doesn't do it again and I have to admit I feel a bit dissapointed.

Besides a few whispers between Mrs. Alvarez and Mrs.Brooks the rest of dinner is quiet. Raine nor Maple come back to join us and I feel a pang of sadness. Raine didn't send Maple away, yet she'd yelled at me when I just wanted to help.

COLTON'S POV

I couldn't believe I had somehow gotten the courage to tap Ivan's foot. It was a risky move but easy to play off cool if he questioned me about it.

I was finished eating but I didn't want to just get up and leave because that would be impolite. However, I did not want to stay at the this table much longer because the awkwardness was simply unbearable.

"Thank you for joining us, Ivan and Colton. You can head home if you'd like or go check on the girls or even check out the gameroom  if you like," Mrs. Brooks comments nicely, standing up with her plate.

I get up too and take the plate from her along with all the other now empty plates. "It was a pleasure Mrs.Brooks. Please, allow me to do the dishes."

Please allow me do the dishes so I can get away from all of you for a few minutes.

She gives me a big genuine smile, "Oh Colton, sweetheart. There's no need for that, I'll take care of it." She takes the plates from me and starts walking towards the kitchen.

I catch up and take the plates from her once again. "No really, its no problem." Before she can argue I rush into the kitchen and set the plates down in the sink.

"Alrighty, thank you so much Colton." Mrs.Brooks responds heading back to the dining table, probably eager to continue her chat with Mrs.Alvarez.

I concentrate at the task that I must now accomplish and - whoa... this sink looked like some fucking futuristic machine. There was only a small, round button and the faucet... which was weirdly shaped. I didn't know where to start.