Chapter 2: "My hair isn't red."

MAPLE'S POV

There was a small knock at my door and then my mother's voice.

"Maple, You ready?"

I turned away from the mirror and opened the door. I sighed, "Yeah."

My mom's eyes softened as soon as she saw me. "Aw, sweetie you look amazing. Your red hair really brings out your eyes."

I managed a smile, "Mom, how many times do I have to tell you, my hair isn't red. It's more of a ginger caramel. "

She laughed, "Sure dear, sure. That blue dress looks amazing on you!"

"You look great yourself," I complimented, running a brush through my hair one last time.

She looked down at her elegant dress. "Why, thank you. Where's Colton by the way?"

"He's on his way. If you don't mind I think I'll ride with him and we'll just follow you." I suggested casually, hoping she agreed.

Every time my mother got a chance to talk to Colton, she'd go on with her 'Respect-my-daughter-or-I'll-kill-you' chat. He'd heard it so many times, he probably had memorized it all.

And even though Colton and I didn't say 'I-love-you' often to each other, we did love one another.

We haven't had sex and I don't think we will anytime soon. We're happy on the current level of our relationship.

Her excitement diminishes a bit and she plays with the thought for a while, "Fine. Alright."

Knock. Knock.

"Oh! That must be him, let's go. I'm so excited for you to meet Victoria, but remember that you must call her Mrs. Brooks. We must be formal. I'm also excited for you to meet Raine! I haven't met her myself, but from the way Victoria talks about her, she's an angel!" She continues- her full excitement returning.

• • • •

It was windy outside and I was glad I'd brought my sweater.

Colton greeted me with a peck on the lips and shook my mother's hand. He was wearing a gray button-down shirt, which was tucked into his black pants. Fancy yet him. The sleeves weren't pulled all the way down and he hadn't changed his hair.

"Nice to see you, Mrs. Alvarez. Might I add, both you ladies look wonderful." He smiled, showing his pearly teeth.

My mom pinched his cheeks in a warning yet affectionate like manner, "Thank you, Colton."