Chapter 3: "It's a pleasure."

COLTON'S POV

Why? Why? Why?

Every time I saw Maple, my heart sparked but it never lit. You know what I mean?

Like when you fail to light a lighter or match. It sparks- but you fail to light it completely.

You're not straight. You're-

No. I am straight. I couldn't be gay. It wasn't right to be gay. I can't like boys because I am a boy. Loving a boy would be a sin.

"Colton."

I snapped my attention to Maple. "Yeah?"

"We're here." She gestured towards the windshield- where we could see her mother's car parked. 

I turned my attention to the house. It was humongous and elegant. It was the type of house where you would think a celebrity was staying at.

I smiled at Maple and leaned over to kiss her.

She wraps her arms around my neck and softly kisses me back.

Nothing.

°

Her mom is the one to ring the doorbell. Maple and I, hand-in-hand, patiently wait beside her.

A pretty girl opens the door. She has brown hair and striking blue eyes. She wears a white sleeveless dress.

Something tells me I should scan her. Check out her curves. But I don't. I don't want to nor feel like I should. 

A wide smile spreads across her face. "Hello, you must be Mrs. Alvarez." They shake hands. "And you must be..." She doesn't finish. She just stares at Maple with something that looks like a mixture of fear and undeniable love.

Maple stares right back at her and I feel her arm go loose. She drops my hand.

"Maple." Maple says finishing the girl's sentence.

"Oh. Uh-um-yeah." The girl recollects herself then looks at me.

"I'm Colton. Her boyfriend." I introduce myself. "A pleasure to meet you."

She nods, clearly still shaken, but maybe it's only I who sees this because Mrs. Alvarez is simply beaming with joy.

"You look lovely, Raine! Such an honor to meet you! You look so much like your mother." Mrs. Alvarez comments.

Raine forces a smile. "Thank you. You all look magnificent- please come right in."

Once we were all inside, she shut the door and started leading us to the kitchen where the clanging of cooking instruments could be heard.

Two words. Holy shit. This place was over the top. I'd never seen a marble floor as scratchless as this, and everything else seemed to be made up of only the most expensive materials. A crystal chandelier hung not only in the entrance room but also in the kitchen. Everything looked perfectly neat and clean.

I was rich. Maple was rich. But this... This was being royalty. So I was clearly surprised to find out that they didn't have maids and butlers.

"They're here, Mom," Raine announced.

A lady wearing a maybe too daring red dress turned around from the stove and smiled. "Oh, Hello!"

She quickly wiped her hands and went over to greet us. She hugged Mrs. Alvarez and shook Maple and I's hands.

"So glad you could all make it! I'm Mrs. Brooks but please you all just call me Victoria. I like feeling young."

"You look young." Maple pointed out.

Mrs. Alvarez seemed to squirm a bit but Mrs. Brooks seemed fine with it. Happy even.

"Aw! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm actually 31 but sometimes I feel 45." She sniffed, faking 'dramatic sadness'. "You can all head to the dining room. Food's almost ready."

Just then a boy entered. He was tall and... hot damn. Beige pants, blue button down shirt. Perfect hair.

He was carrying Raine like a baby and they were laughing.

Once he looked up, we immediately made eye contact.

He was no longer smiling and I couldn't feel my legs.

My heart thudded. Du-dump. Du-dump. Du-dump. Du-dump. Du-dump.

Slowly he set Raine down and they came over to us.

"Excuse my absence, I went to get Ivan. He was in the game room." Raine said grinning, trying hard to look anywhere but at Maple. Maple seemed to be doing the same thing, her eyes were focused on her hands.

"Colton," I said extending out a shaking hand.

IVAN'S POV

I shook Colton's hand. It was warm and soft. And for some strange reason, it felt better than touching Raine's hand.

"Ivan," I responded giving him a half smile.

We held eye contact maybe more than we should've. His eyes were hazel. Gorgeous. He was gorgeous.

The world around us seemed to disappear.

You should be checking out the ginger beside Colton. Not Colton.

He grinned. God, he was everything.