Chapter 6: "Hugs and markers."

RAINE'S POV
I went from standing there like a statue to a complete blabber-mouth.

I also seemed to forget about the temperature. I was just focused on her and on trying not to look like an idiot.

"Oh-um- I didn't see you there. Would you like to step inside? I mean you don't have to, only if you want 'cause we only just met and it might be awkward if-"

She giggled, her eyes had a twinkle of amusement in them. "You're adorable."

So of course, I blushed. Anyone would have, at a compliment like that but she probably just meant it in a friendly way.

I look away nervously. "Er-um. Thanks?" I step inside my room and open the door wide for her.

She smiles warmly, not second thinking it.

I close the door behind us so no annoying parents just appeared out of nowhere.

"What happened back there was um- a bit impressive." She said sounding guilty for saying it.

For a moment I don't know what she's talking about, but then I remember the fight I had with mom.

I slump down on my cushion chair with a humph.

In three seconds she's sitting right next to me. "I didn't mean it in a bad way. I mean- I admire your courage. I could never do something like that."

I force my lips into a small smile. "Thanks."

Her hand finds her way on top of mine. "I'm sorry..."

I don't know what to say and the silence just drags on for a while until she finally speaks first.

"Does she really want to buy you a 5,000 dollar dress?!" She asks pulling up her legs onto the cushion chair.

I nod, "Yup." I thicken my voice a bit to try to imitate my mother's. "'The more expensive the better.'"

She bursts out laughing, "That was a pretty good impression, does she say that often?"

"Of course, which is why I avoid going shopping with her." I don't say it in a bad way, in fact, I wasn't angry or upset anymore. The furious side of me had vanished replaced by a pleasant feeling of comfort.

"Well, if you ever want to go shopping with someone I'd be glad to tag along and keep you company." She says a bit nervously, blushing.

I smile, "That would be fun, I mean we don't even have to shop we could just hang out, talk, you know."

"Yeah! We could see a movie, or get ice-cream, or take silly selfies!" She comments basically screaming.

I laugh at her excitement. I wanted to call her adorable too. And say she was beautiful and amazing.

Her eyes were full of hope and she looked overjoyed. Then her arms were around me and I wrapped my arms around her.

I don't even know why we were hugging but we were. She way happy. I was happy.

MAPLE'S POV
She smelled of cotton candy and her arms around me were gentle.

When we pulled apart we were both smiling.

"I should probably give you my number," she said getting up and walking over to a desk.

"And I should give you mine," I add standing up and following her.

The truth was that I wasn't as impressed by her room as I was of her. To me she was perfect and I could already tell she was a great person, or she would've shooed me away the moment she saw me.

She might even like me in a friend-like way. 'Cause I don't think she'd ever see me as a girlfriend. Wait. What?

"I mean this in the best possible way but um- why did you-"

"Follow you?" I finish for her as she gets out some sticky notes and markers.

She nods handing me a sticky note and a marker.

"I wanted to know if you were okay, and even though I saw your boyfriend go back to the dining room, I thought it was worth a shot." I take the items and begin to scribble my number down.

"Thank you for doing so." She says in a low voice almost a whisper.

"Thanks for not freaking out when I randomly appeared behind you." I tease, sticking the sticky note on her forehead.

She sticks her sticky note on my forehead. "You did startle me I have to admit."

I fake gasp, "Are you calling me ugly?"

She laughs, "No, you're gorgeous but I think I'm going to get back at you." In a swift movement, her marker strikes my nose leaving a purple line.

Did she just call me gorgeous? I think she did.

I giggle opening back up my blue marker. This was going to get a bit messy.