Ch. 3 Waxing Gibbous

Start from the beginning

However, my good mood from the morning got totally destroyed by Mr. Smith, our math teacher. He told me that my grade had drastically dropped down and that I was lacking knowledge in calculating and doing even the most common stuff that everybody else could do. He also told me I had to study really hard because the end of the semester was close and if I didn't, I may not make it in math. This was the last thing I needed or wanted since my parents put great values in school and education. They wanted me to study hard and get good grades, not necessarily the best but also not the worst. They were also saving up money for me to go to college and we had a deal - good grades from me and more pocket money and longer curfew from them. God, I loved that deal! But hated math... if you asked me, who cared about mathematics anyway? Moreover, I'm sure I won't be needing it in real life. If I need to calculate something I'd use a calculator! Anyhow, good luck explaining this to my parents or Mr. Smith.

The worst part was yet to come...

"Since, YN, last time I gave you the paper so you can get your parents' signature and you faked it..."
"I'm really sorry Mr. Smith!"

I really did that. I was so afraid that if my parents found out, they'd ground me until my grade got better. Well, they did found out when Mr. Smith compared the signatures and saw it was fake. He called home, my dad picked up and you could imagine the rest. I got into a lot of trouble for laying and was grounded for 2 weeks and couldn't go out. They hired a private tutor and the only thing I did was study, study, study. That's why I was apologizing Mr. Smith now, I didn't want this to happen again.

"And you should be sorry! So my point was... this time I'm coming over and-"
"NOOO Mr. Smith!"
"Why not?"
"Please I won't fake the signature or things like that but please don't come 'cause my parents would think the situation is really bad!"
"I don't think you understand, YN. The situation is far more than bad. If you don't get yourself together and study hard even God won't be able to help you. Tell your parents I'll visit tonight. 5pm! Now back to class!"

Great. Just great! Now I could kiss the party goodbye. All my friends were gonna be there having fun, enjoying themselves, Jess too with Michael while I was locked up home studying. Why was fate against me?! Why couldn't he come like after the party?

After school, I waited for Jess outside and we headed home together. I told her everything.

"I probably won't be allowed to go to he party now.." I sadly said, looking down.
"But If you don't come, then I won't go either! I know I won't have fun without my best friend."
"Thanks but I think you should go. I want you to go and have fun!"
"But YN, this will be the party of the year and you're gonna miss it!?"
"You know my parents, school's first to them, they won't let me go. I just know it."
"Oh man... why couldn't he visit after the party?"
"That's exactly what I thought! Fate is so against me! I'm 17 years old, a grown up and still can't do what I want! Sometimes I even wanna be like Michael, alone and independent, do whatever I want and-" she stopped and placed her hand on my chest or more like slammed, causing me to stop too.
"Ouch! It hurt."
"YN you're a genius!"
"What? I am?"
"Yes. I got a plan." she gave me an evil look.
"Ohhh no! We've done your plans before and always ended up grounded. As far as I remember, faking my parents' signature was your plan too."
"I agree with you but this time, my plan is really good and doesn't include lying."
"Okay let me hear it!"
"Mr. Smith said 5 pm right?"
"Yes."
"Well, your parents usually return little later right?"
"Yes."
"How about you ask Michael to talk to Mr. Smith and sign those papers instead?"
"Michael!"
"Yes, honey, him. And then ask him to... not tell your parents about it?"
"I don't think this is a good idea and I don't think he'll agree to lie for the SECOND time this week!"
"It's not lying it's just... not telling them. He can tell them next week after the party."
"I don't know Jess..."
"This is your only chance! Our only chance to go to the party. I don't wanna go without you so listen to me this time and do as I say!"