Chapter 28- The Visit

Nine months of complete bliss. Bridget and Vic took each other as if no time had been missing. Harlan was now in custody as well as his two goons as she was free to walk to the mailbox with Vic following her. Liza had taken up the spare room in Bridget's house and often went along with Bridget and Vic to the more public outings like movies and parks. The more private dates were reserved just for them. But one night, Bridget took a call during one of her private nights with Vic.

"Is this miss Bridget-"

"Yes." She cut the voice off.

"Good. This is officer Halstedder down at the local station...we have Harlan-"

"I know-" She cut him off once more.

"He wishes to speak with you...he wanted me to inform you that if you decline, you will be missing out on facts it is better to know."

"What do you know?"

"Nothing but what he has told me mam. If you decline, please-"

"I don't. I'll be there..what time is best?"

"Eleven would be alright."

"Okay. Thank you."

"Thank you."

Hanging up the phone, she kept the plans a secret from Vic and enjoyed the remainder of the night with him before moving on towards the police station the next day at the agreed upon time. Standing outside the glass case that separated them, only an old payphone style-phone was their way to communicated.

"I am glad you-"

"Don't pretend to be decent Harlan..." As she said his name, she felt ill. Violently ill... "I have wasted enough of my life in your games-"

"And yet you came..."

"Because you asked. You could have asked my mother...whom you made me believe was dead...you could have asked Vic or your wife...but you ask me...why?"

"Because I am never getting out of here. I won't lie...I thought that I had you so terrified you would be too terrified to testify...but I-"

"Underestimated me? Thought you won?"

He nodded. "I am not going to fight with you. But I want to give you something I know...something I saw...on the television when you came clean to the press about what I put you through..."

"And how can that help me now?"

"There is someone close to you who doesn't have good intentions. They plan to carry out what I couldn't."

"How do you know this?"

"Because they visited me. The night I was brought in here...They were the first to visit and the latest-aside from you today...they feel as if their father-"

"You have a child?" He nodded.

"I was put in the dark for years. It was why I let your mother go. She had a child-my child...and she deceived me about it. Bridget, I'm not going to try to convince you of anything I promise. I have nothing to convince you. You endured pain and trauma but I can't lie...I...live for it. I was twisted since birth...maybe a little after. Destined to be another name in another file."

"You didn't have to be. You could have been a good man. You could have let them go-me to...But you kept using me as a pawn in your pedophile ring. Because you were so scared of being alone and being dead without your revenge. And if it's true what you say about someone coming after me...Then bring it on. Because after you...I could take world war three..." She went to get up but he stopped her.

"I just want you-"

"To be safe? No thanks-"

"No."

"Why do you want to help?"

"I don't care about human life-that's obvious...but I...I think everyone should get what they deserve...and this person against you....they deserve hell."

"Then tell me who they are-"

"I don't know. They come to me in heavy jackets and talk in letters..."

"So as always...you're no help-"

"Maybe I'm not. I deserve everything that is going to happen to me. I don't doubt it. I deserve the electric chair and hell. To rot in a pit of fire for the rest of my eternal life. To feel the pain I caused others-I'm not asking you for anything..."

"You wouldn't tell me this unless you had an angle..."

"I told you...I believe in karma and sometimes...it has to be pushed..."

"Others?"

"For us lucky few...it just happens..."

"Well if you're right...thanks...but if not...rot in hell Harlan. If not for me, I have no feeling towards you; not anger, not frustration, not pity...I feel nothing for you." She paused before standing up. "And if you EVER think to contact me again. Do it from beyond the grave when the officer tells me you have been electrocuted. Otherwise...I only want to hear your name in a nightmare."

"I understand."

"And one final thing Harlan...I want you to know something you sick prick...I was innocent before you. I was a girl dreaming of Yale and meeting my true love....not of getting out of shackles and ways to escape using a bobby pin. You ruined my final years of innocence in the most selfish and dreadful way imaginable. And you not only pinned the love of my life for your crimes...but forced him to hide because of it. I do not understand why you did it. I do not feel anything as I said before. But I do feel drained. But strong against you. If this was a ploy to feel guilt...forget it. If this was a genuine warning, I thank you because I"M not immoral or inhumane...but you...if not the crimes against me...then the ring you sold girls for...the men you hurt and the women you killed...for the souls you damned and the hearts you broke. You did not win. And I am NOT your victim."

Without another word, she threw the phone onto the holder and moved outside of the station, holding her stomach as she felt ill. Tears filled her eyes as she heard a familiar voice behind her.

"You alright?" She turned to find it to be Liza.

"Yeah. I just...I am tired of games..."

"Were you here to see Harlan?"

She nodded.

"That sick monster...why?"

"He told me someone close was trying to finish what he started..."

"And do you believe him?"

"I don't want to...but I can't help but feel it isn't over..."

"Let's get you home." Liza said as she walked with her, letting her lean onto her.