Chapter 30- Broken Recovery

"Can you hear me?" Vic's voice entered Bridget's hearing as his cloudy figure filled her adjusting eyes. She nodded as her throat was still damaged from the noose. When her vision came to, she jumped up as she was calmed by Vic's touch and half hug as the nurse moved towards her with a sedative. "No." Vic snapped. "She's had enough."

"She could be too hard to control-"

"She'll be fine." He said strictly before the nurse left, murmuring something cruel under her breath before leaving them alone.

"Where..."

"Don't try to talk. Your vocal chords have immense swelling from..." His eyes moved to the ground.

"Mom?"

"She's waiting in the waiting room for you."

"I want-"

"Shh...just relax baby." He said as he kissed her forehead. Her eyes fell heavy once more and she awoke with her mother and father at either side, with tears in their eyes.

"My girl!" They said in unison before hugging her. She winced but accepted their admiration with great love. "How do you feel?" her mother asked as tears were thick in her eyes, one escaping as she quickly wiped it away.

She nodded as her father held her mother back. "Remember, she can't talk...it's painful."

Bridget nodded before her mother took her hand. "Do you remember what happened?" Bridget attempted to remember at the expense of a glare in the distance before shaking her head. "Do you want me to tell you?" She nodded before her mother took a deep breath.

"We found Liza's phone. She was making calls to the local prison where Harlan was being held. After a DNA test confirmed it, she was his daughter. Your half sister. I had a child with Harlan and I gave it up the minute she was born..." Her eyes moved to Vic as he nodded to her, giving her thankful eyes. "She discovered it about ten years ago and tried to find him up until about three...to five years ago. She helped lure girls to be his...victims...You were no different...when you were in that blasted hotel...apartment whatever, she was conversing with him. It was a plan to escape and the rest only Harlan knows...the messages end."

"What...what does...it mean?"

"Liza was planted by Harlan...not forced...by her will...and she used this family..."

"Did...did...you..kn..know?"

She nodded. "She has your eyes."

"I'm...I'm sorry mama." Her mom began to cry before placing a hand over her mouth. "I just want you better sweetheart." She said as she kissed her forehead, her father copying and then leaving her alone with Vic. Before he could speak, she moved her gaze to him.

"Why...did...sh-she...look at you...li-like tha...t?"

"Like what?"

"Like.." She took a breath before swallowing heard, feeling immense pain. "Like she was asking you...for permission to speak...or checking what she was saying was alright to sa-say..." she said quickly in order to make proper sentences without stalling.

He shrugged it off before glaring at her mother who was looking through the hospital window.

The days continued as Bridget gradually got better. A neck brace was issued for the first month until she could move with little tenderness. When the swelling was minimal, she then gained complete control over her voice without casting a tear with an attempt. She was brought home to a welcoming party. Music and cupcakes were enjoyed as they were all thankful for their healthy daughter returned home. The night began to fade into early morning as she sat upon the porch, hearing the television behind her as she awoke.

"Breaking news, Harlan-" She moved into the living room as she heard the television before watching it with clenched fists. "Has been found dead in his cell from an apparent suicide. A note has been recovered by police and have been withheld from press and family until analysis is completed." Her father turned off the television before she fell against the couch.

"He will never have to face me again." She fell into a crying mess. "He will never know what he did...or face justice for it..." And like that, she fell apart...

Two days of uneventful hours passed as Bridget got a letter given to her by a police officer.

"Bridget..." He spoke as she moved towards her car.

"Officer Hensen..."

"The chief wanted you to have this."

"What is it?"

"Harlan's suicide letter...."

"You say it funny...like you don't believe it was..."

"Do I believe a man would stab himself in the abdomen to his Adam's apple? No...But he wants you to have it. It was addressed to you..."

"Thank you." She said as she sat in her car. Taking a deep breath, she attempted to read the blood stained letter as she shook.

"Bridget," She began to read in her mind in his sinister voice she was unable to erase from her memory. "I wish I could express my feelings as normal people can...but I fear my days are numbered and not by my own hand. I can no longer face the music of what I have done as death now looks me dead in the eye and counts down my seconds. I fear they are among me now. I wanted my conscience clear as I take my last breath. You will not believe what is burdening me if I state it here...so discover it for yourself. Check the birth records of Liza. Her real name was Eliza Humphrey born in Illinois. You will find the last bit of pain. If I felt sadness, I would apologize. But I can see from how you have recovered that you do not need an apology. So if I die before I get this to you...check those documents. It will explain everything..." Signed Harlan.

And as instructed, she snuck her way into the records room of the local Illinois hospital before dropping the file and returning home. Tears filled her eyes as a familiar face made her jump as he spoke her name.

"What are you doing?" Vic asked as he saw her in her car, shaking. "It's cold, come inside."

"I'm...-" He went to open the door but she locked it.

"Open the door."

He saw her scared expression and his slowly changed. "Come on! Open it! Open it!" He said more and more stern each time. "Open the damn door!"

Suddenly her food slammed on the gas as she had it in reverse and she drove far away as she could think to go, holding the file in her hand as she had to keep looking back in order to verify her deepest fear...