Chapter 29- Tested Loyalties

"You took a wrong turn..." Bridget claimed as she saw the exit to her street pass.

"I thought we could get some food first. I found this place off of the interstate." She said as she placed her finger on the power button for the GPS. Going along with the ride, Bridget continuously checked her phone and was surprised to see nothing from Vic-not even a check up message.

"Is your reception still reaching out here?" She asked as she pulled off the side of the road to a vacant lot as the sun began to fade into its slumber.

"No. I think I lost it about ten miles back...how far-" Her eyes caught her attention on the road and how it was on the opposite side of where the car was parked. Her face turned to find Liza holding a gun towards her cheek.

"Get out of the car." Bridget followed the demands as she looked around for a possible exit. "Take the battery out of your phone and throw me the battery and break your phone." Doing as requested, the glass beneath her foot smashed as she looked back at Liza who motioned for her to move into the old garage that was rigged as a modern torture chamber. Concealed from the outside world, the cement walls made it impossible to be heard as she tried to hit the walls when she was left alone, and found only pain from her foot by trying to discover an echo to the outside. Liza returned with chains and makeshift cuffs made from what she was told was a steering wheel.

"Why?" Bridget asked as she clenched her jaw, as she was tied with her hands above her head.

"It's a long story...but you and I...we have every day for the rest of your life...which don't worry...won't be long..." Moving behind her, Liza collected a camera before taking photos. "Just to let your mother know what her babygirl was doing on her final days...."

"Why are you doing this?" She paused as Liza kept a mangled smirk on one side present at all times. "We took you in-"

"You took the one home I had away!" She snapped. "You never inquired in my life previously-and you sure as hell don't now!"

"Are you angry because I didn't ask of your past?"

"Are you truly this stupid?" Bridget glared. "I was sent from foster home to foster home because about nineteen years ago I was put up for adoption. My true mother I never knew...but I knew my father. He was a bull of a man, but made me tough when I reconnected when I was sixteen. I learned recently how wronged he had been and how all of this was a big misunderstanding-at least...that will be your last words to this camera-" She pulled out a camera from a black bag. "Before you supposedly take your own life by hanging due to the lies you told previously."

"I will never-"

"If you don't...I'll blame Vic and your mother for the whole thing. Maybe I'll spin it to where they were having an affair. Make a few fake emails...it will make your father turn on them...even more fun...that you helped them hide it! Just so many possibilities!"

"Fine."

"Great. So look right here in the camera and speak about how you wrongfully tagged my father for kidnapping you." Her eyes went wide.

Taking a deep breath, Bridget looked deep into the camera. "My name is Bridget and I have recently put a man away from attempted murder, rape, assault, and kidnapping for a crime he did not commit." Speaking quickly, she did her very best not to either vomit or cry from the emotion pulsating within herself. "I cannot take the guilt any longer as the pain is too hard to bare. I give my love to my mother and father, and brother, who I will never get to take on long drives, the first time I really got to know him." Liza pressed the red button to turn off the recording.

FORTY-EIGHT HOURS LATER

"It's addressed to you." Vic said as he came into Bridget's mom who was hovering over a telephone, desperate for her daughter's or police's call. With tears in her eyes, she opened the envelope to see it was a tape. Looking to Vic, he slid it in the player before it showed a tired and incredibly pale and seemingly drained Bridget. Her mom fell in front of the television, reaching at the screen.

Upon hearing the message, her mom shot her head up. "Brother?"

"Does she have one in college? Who died early on?"

"No. She doesn't have a brother..."

Vic scowled at the thought as he rewatched the tape over and over again until morning rose once more. As Bridget's mom came down the stairs, she saw how he had a notebook full of notes and he jumped upon seeing her.

"Come here..." He said as he had the tape paused at the end. He pointed at the screen, behind Bridget to a metal beam garage door beam that reflected behind her. "There are two sets of legs...and her hands are above her head...she is being forced there..."

She covered her mouth. "Is she alright? Do you think-"

"No. Whoever is doing this...wants something...I just have to get to them before they collect..."

"Where's Liza?" Bridget's dad asked as he came from the guest room holding laundry from her room. "I haven't seen her in a bit."

Vic and the mom looked quickly at one another. Vic then filled her in on what Harlan had told Bridget the day she went missing. Again, they watched the tape before he leaped up.

"The first time we escaped, we went to a small gas station but found it was abandoned....she is there...I know it..."

And immediately, they drove the four hours to the destination before coming to a halt. Blood was speared on the window inside as they saw a dark figure hanging from the center of the garage. Quickly, Vic kicked open the barricaded doors and found that she had been hung. Her body was still in normal temperature but her body was immobile. He used his knife in his pocket and quickly cut her down before holding her tight.

"Don't leave me-" He began with tears in his eyes. "Please Bridget..." His eyes then moved to the body against the garage door. Liza had turned the gun on herself as she could not take the pressure any longer. Her blood was that which stained the inside of the garage. A single shot was the possible last sound Bridget had heard.