Chapter 12- Numb

Bridget awoke to find the windows of the hotel swinging back and forth due to a raging storm outside. Rushing to them, she moved to close them and washed herself off as her chest and arms were now damp. Turning around, she found how Vic was gone. Growing nervous that he had either betrayed her or been captured, she armed herself with the the umbrella upon the ground before moving towards the window and slid open the curtain to find the end of a gun to be pointed at her. She quickly ducked to find the glass break above her head and the laughing of two other men. Hiding herself for a moment, she realized she had little time to attempt an escape as she crawled on the floor and made it to the bathroom on the other side, closing the door quickly as she hid behind it. Shaking and finding it difficult to remain quiet, she found a window within the bathroom that was covered by the bathroom mirror and smashed it, finding this to be her only chance. Upon breaking through she found how it was a link to the outside. But a thin one at best. A small edge sat along the building, just enough for her shoes if she were to walk sideways. To her luck, another bar rested on top and sat around the hotel, at least to the corner. She motioned as quick as possible yet slipped due to the water and was clinging to the bottom edge. At least five stories from the ground, she found there to be little chance at surviving. Tears were in her eyes as those who saw her dangling pointed and screamed as others attempted to take pictures.

She moved her fingers further along the rim, coming around to the front-deciding to take her chance to try. Coming to the front, she found a window to be open in the front and moved towards it, swinging in drenched and bleeding on a poor innocent couple trying to relax for the night. She apologized before running through the hall, moving to the elevator and pressing the button as if it would save the world. When the doors came open, her eyes matched with Harlan for a moment before she saw Vic with a gun being held under his chin.

"Run!' He screamed to her as she turned on her heel and towards the stairs, making it just in time before a bullet rang off against the metal door frame. Making it down the first flight, she heard the door open on top of her and she decided to skip steps as she could hear the heavy boots of her initial captors. Making it to the ground floor, she found the lobby to be empty and the doors barred with chairs from the dining hall. She quickly chose to hide in the maid's closet near the kitchen. She slowed her breathing by inhaling and exhaling through her mouth. Due to the bright lights of the hotel and the darkness in the closet, she could see each time they would walk past her. Suddenly the door came open and she stayed still as she placed herself between dress bags. Breathing deep as she grew nervous, she closed her eyes tight as the bag before the one she was sandwiched between got moved viciously.

"Over here!" The beach bum expressed as he quickly moved from the closet, leaving the door open, and jetting across the way. Vic was tied by cable wire on his hands and chains similar to that belonging in a chain gang on his feet. A sight she noticed as he stood, the only one to see her. Upon seeing her motion undetected, he grew relieved until Harlan saw his shifting gaze.

"Did you see her?" Vic remained quiet. "There was a time you were loyal to me..." Using his gun, he hit his cheek enough to cut it open. The blood felt like a long tear coasting its way down his face as he wiped away the blood with the side of his hand. "Hey Bridget!" Harlan teased in a musical manner. "I have all night to wait. Due to your stunt, everyone thinks the important business is on the higher floors. But everything is blocked off."

She remained quiet, hiding behind the bar, where they had already checked.

"I could always shoot Vic.'

"No!" She screamed as Harlan chuckled.

"That's it...come on out or I'll kill him. I don't mind another body on my conscience..." He paused as he clicked the gun to show the illusion of preparing to shoot. She shot up as Harlan shook his head.

"Fine, I'm here."

"I see that...quite a quick cat too..."

"Why do you want me so damn bad?"

"I've explained my reason."

"I know the truth about everything. About how you forced my mom-"

"She was a tease, now I'm just simply returning the favor-"

"You're psychotic." He moved to her as he grabbed a glass bottle and hit it over his arm as he moved to block her attack. Pieces of glass got stuck in his arm but did not cease him as he used the gun to force her to her knees.

"I want Vic here to see just how much of a psycho I am...I want the last thing he sees to be your brains on this floor."

Suddenly the beach bum whispered in his ear as he groaned.

"But I am not done having fun with my puppets. Therefore...this cinematic moment will have to wait...but no worries...all good things must end." And with that, he tore open the door to the kitchen and exited through the locked door, quickly removing their placed lock and exiting through a car in the alley, pushing past the reporters and police officers.