Eight

Nicole,

Stay strong and never give up. God has you in the palm of His hand and He will never let you go. Times are tough right now but they will get better. God has a plan for you, don't forget what mom always tells you, He gives the hardest struggles to the toughest people. Don't lose hope.

Nicole closed her computer and breathed in the misty Senoia air. She had another interview with Emily today and she was prepared to get all the information she could before her resignation in a few weeks.

"Nic?" Rachel called to her. "You have a call."

"Hello?" Nicole answered anxious that it might be the doctor with more bad news.

"Hey Nic! It's dad!"

"Dad? Hi! How are you?" Nicole hadn't heard from her father since he sent her back home, which still stung a bit.

"I'm fine. I have some news for you. I heard about your last doctors visit. Your mother told me, and I want you to come see a specialist up here in New York."

"Dad I have a story to finish this week...I can't." Nicole tried explaining.

"Nic you have to...you don't want to be deaf do you?"

Nicole couldn't believe her ear. She couldn't believe that her own father wanted to change the way she was. That he might be ashamed of his daughter being deaf.

"Dad...th-this is who I am now. I may not have fully accepted it yet but I will and I hope that you will too."

"Your life wasn't meant to be lived like this! Nicole I know that there is something so much greater for you than this!" Her dad told her with evident emotion in his voice.

Nicole wiped away the few tears that had shed down her cheeks and sighed. "As much as I despised coming here dad, Senoia is where I need to be. Where God has me right now...."

Frustration was all Nicole heard through the line and the call ended with her dad giving in to her new way of life.

"Another stressful day?" Jonathan asked Nicole as he entered her cubicle.

"My dad wanted me back in New York. He wanted me to get a cochlear inplant and get back to work."

Jonathan looked skeptical and came over to sit on her desk. "Nic, you..we came here to get a fresh start. Forget about your condition for a minute and just think about all the positives of working in Senoia."

"And what would those be Jonathan...?"

"We don't have to stand in the cold waiting for a snobby celebrity to show up two hours late, or we don't have to trip over thousands of paparazzi just to get a single interview! Senoia isn't so bad..."

Nicole laughed and moved to sit next to Jonathan on her desk. "You forgot the part about not having to take a subway or taxi everywhere."

"That's true! We have cars or were walking now! Who would've thought!"

Nicole laughed again and Jonathan put a soft arm around her shoulders. "That's the smile I love seeing and the laugh I love hearing."

"Hearing..." Nicole sighed heavily. She slowly brought herself back to reality and everything became dark again.

"Hey...don't think like that!" Jonathan begged her. "You do not need to hear to be who you are, to be the amazing Nicole Parker I know."

More tears shed down Nicoles face as several realizations came upon her. "The sweet voices of my children, the strong and tender voice of my husband, my mom, Rachel, you...all those sweet voices..."

"Nic-"

"The birds that sing a different sweet tune in the morning, the wind moving through out the trees, the water being whisked away after every ripple...all those sweet sounds...."

"You-"

"The sound of pens diligently writing, keyboards typing, Henry's strict tone when he's passionate about a new project..."

"Please-" Jonathan again tried to stop her but it was helpless.

"Steps of tourists walking around the town, the sound of excitement breathing into everyone's face as they see the mill or the antique shops. None of it...I won't hear a thing..."

***

I know it was a short chapter but I wanted the ending to be powerful...

Comment what you thought loves and stay tuned for the next chapter coming soon!

Love yall! God bless!