Seven

Sunday.

The day that Emily woke up before the sun rose to drive an hour away to visit her mother.

Her beloved mother who couldn't crawl out of her deep depression and couldn't remember what day it was even if she tried.

Emily had Adi come over early to watch Drew and so she could have the day to herself.

"You drive safe okay?" She told her in her thick country accent. "Oh and tell your father to call me sometimes. I am still here."

"He knows Adi, he loves you know? Don't think that cause he doesn't visit doesn't mean he's forgotten about you."

Emily saw a single tear escape her grandmothers eyes and gave her one last hug. "Love you."

"Love you too Em."

On her way to the mental hospital in Atlanta, she prayed that there would be positive changes for her mom today. She needed to be happy again.

Ever since Kathryne's parents had passed, she had gone into this deep depression that not even her sister, Kristen, nor Brandon could pull her out of.

Emily's dad had refused for months to stick Kathryne in a mental hospital until she started getting violent. She would swear at Brandon and punch him when he tried to touch her.

Emily cried numerous nights praying to God that He would give her family a miracle. She still believed that her mom would come out of this, she just didn't know when.

As she approached the hospital parking lot she felt her heart rate go up like it always did when she was about to see her mom. The palms of her hands started to sweat and the room suddenly got a thousand degrees warmer.

She texted her dad letting him that she was inside and walked up to the reception desk to sign in.

"Good morning Ms. Miller. How are you?"

"Fine thanks. Is she up?"

"Yes. Your father is on his way."

Emily nodded waiting for her dad to come out of the elevator.

"Emmie!" He smiled.

"Hi daddy."

"How's my girl today? It's just you?"

She cringed at the disappointment that descended from her father's voice. He was always expecting Anna to be right behind her, but she never was.

"Anna is on a business trip. She sends her love."

He nodded slowly clearly upset. Emily mentally punched her sister for being so rebellious and never coming to visit either of their parents. Anna even left her child with Emily because she was too irresponsible to take care of him. And to top it off, Emily had to constantly lie on her behalf because she didn't know where on God's green earth Anna was.

"How is she today?" She asked to take my mind off her sister.

"Really well actually. We had a nice conversation just before you came."

"Conversation? That hasn't happened in awhile. I hope I didn't ruin the moment."

"No but I think the letters are working."

Emily had given her dad the box of letters her mom had written to him long before they were married. Her father had even written some letters to her after they were married too.

The letters were the strongest symbol of their love and it was slowly regaining her mom's memory back as well as taking her out of the dark depts of depression.