1

Amber hues warmed the office as the fiery light radiated around the large building. The large office was busy with many people rushing around to complete their work before the end of the working day; parts of sunset gleamed off the sleek furniture leading to the executive room behind all of them. Where no one dared to approach. The sound of typing and typical office tasks could be heard in the distance, but it lessened as you went closer to the enormous executive door.

A woman sat in the center of the room, resting in an expensive chair behind her ivory desk. Her dark complexion almost blended into the tranquil background, and her quiet breaths broke the frigid silence of the suite. Italian-made clothing. Beautiful pearls adorning her ears. The seemingly younger woman oozed elegance and class. Her fitted pencil skirt and blazer asserted her authority without words, while her taunt chignon kept her black relaxed hair out of her face. Her rigid appearance appeared to be clashing with the warm sunlight, which seemed too light and welcoming for the CEO's icy presence. While the work on her desk was piled high, her almond-shaped eyes were focused away from it, looking outside the large window that took up most of the wall space in the penthouse suite.

As she looked out the window, Mrs. Falcon observed people's smiles, laughter, and holding hands. Her suite had a small view of the street people, bars, and restaurants open for the weekend, all in celebration of the holiday. Her glance fell on their slender necks, which bore their clan's emblem.

Her manicured finger traced over her neck, wincing at the unmarked skin. Where there should have been the raised skin of her own clan's emblem, there only lay a gold necklace. Her not having a mate in her role as Alpha of the Falcon clan struck her as pitiful. That is not what her parents would have wanted for her. Not what they would have envisioned as the future of their clan.

For years, the werewolves had all lived in a metropolis. They separated clans based on affiliation. Falcon pack members were business people renowned for their strict justice theories and meticulous mindsets. For generations, this pack ran around 95% of the legal business trade. The Falcon's name was powerful. For many years, their family had close relationships with top CEOs and banks, and they expected their children to uphold this reputation.

There were other clans. The leader of the Falcon clan supported many of them, like the Grange clan, the arts clan of the metropolis. They managed social and environmental programs and maintained control of the arts.

Sisque, frowned upon by every clan, controlled the underworld of the city. The sleaziest clan, plagued by nightclubs, wolf-trafficking, and prostitution. It is well known that the Sisque clan was an enemy of the Falcon clan, which is why they avoided each other. In the Sisque clan neighborhood, neon lights replaced sunlight, and women in half-clothes wandered the streets at sundown. It was a place most avoided.

Her show was interrupted by a knock on her office door.

Marcus walked into the dark office surprised to see his Alpha seated in her chair staring out onto the landscape. Usually she would've had her nose deep in some work, and as her Beta, he would've had to forced her out of the office away from her work.

"Arella it's getting late."

He saw her almond eyes and knew exactly what caused her solemn state. She had been like this more and more as of late.

Unnerved by her silence, he spoke softly. "Arella you'll find your mate soon."

Understanding where his comment came from she shook her head. "Marcus I can hear them. All of them doubting me, saying that my father's legacy is being wasted."

"That's not true my Alpha. The hell with what they say! Your father would be proud of what has come of his legacy-

"You say that. That's your opinion. How does that hold up to everyone else? The other Alphas? The other wolves?" She responded bitterly.