Chapter Fifty-Four

Start from the beginning

"It's time to stop playing dress up. You and Ellie have to go."

"What?"

"Alessio is going to know who you are, today maybe, I think you have until tomorrow but nothing more, hell he could know right now. It's my fault, I was a mess last night...just go and don't look back, okay? Take care of Ellie."
"I can't go."

"We're talking about your life Nash. I said your name. Your real name last night. Alessio asked who Nash was and I told him you were just one of the cops on the scene of the crash but...like I said. You have a day at absolute most. Time to pull out."

He was silent for a few minutes before he finally thanked me for the heads up and we ended the call. Maybe I should be running too...when Alessio realized I had lied about who Nash was...there was a good chance I could convince him I didn't know, that I saw him in police uniform and being in shock it set me off even more and I didn't retain the information.

I could probably lie my way into another week of life...but I was getting pretty sick of lying to Alessio. Was there any other way with this situation? To save my life I could either lie or I could throw Nash under the bus. Something I also wasn't about to do.

I toyed with my phone thoughtfully for a few moments before deciding to call Alessio with what Nash had been able to tell me.

"Ciao."

"You didn't get him." I said quickly. "Sully-"

"I know." He interrupted me and I frowned.

"Where are you?"

"You don't need to-" He stopped midsentence and was quiet for a few moments. "Under."

"Under where Alessio? I'm coming to meet you."

"Down under."

Where we had met. Even though Alessio had never shown interest in the women below I couldn't help but be slightly bothered by his being surrounded by half naked girls while I laid around in bed or reported the news. I knew that it was where he had nearly cheated on me, and I had to ask myself now how often Alessio actually went below. I didn't know where he did his business or where he went when we were apart. When I was under he was there often, though never daily. Was this... Lux still down there? Would it have been worse if she wasn't? Meaning he had her removed? I was a question I didn't seek the answer to.

"Baby?" He asked when I was silent for too long.

"I'm here."

"Don't worry." Nothing else needed be said. What creeping doubts I may have ever had about Alessio were quickly diluted with a simple word or two. He didn't have to tell me about her or what he was doing, or even what I was to not worry about. I was instantly soothed.

Suddenly, I was wondering if I should come clean with Alessio about Nash, if two simple words from him smothered my worries perhaps a long slew of honesty would save both Nash's life and mine.

I brought my lip between my teeth. I could probably talk my life out of the gutter but when Alessio heard the words admitting Nash was an undercover nothing else would matter. He would kill him.

"I'm coming over now...I...well I don't know how to get in anymore." I sat up with a wince and a sharp intake of breath.

"What happened?"

"I'm fine, just sore...and shit, my car..." How was I supposed to get anywhere with a busted up car?

"Don't be ridiculous, you don't even know where you are going Simone will drive you. He's already in the house."