Chapter Three

My car ride home was filled with confusion. Nash had told me to be safe. But I didn't feel as though Alessio would hurt me.

Of course, I didn't really feel like he would shoot my father either and look how far that had got me. Come to think of it, there were a ton of things that happened that I didn't see coming. I never would have predicted spending a night on top of a bridge, if you told me I was going to be kidnapped and the GPS my boyfriend put in my earrings would be the only thing to-

I slammed on my breaks and received an angry horn blare behind me. Flushed, I began driving again.

I'd called him my boyfriend. Is that what he was? I mean, I lived with him, we had officially had sex brief as we had been interrupted, but sex nonetheless, exchanged our first I love yous. What else could he be?

Oh yeah, that's right, the asshole who had my father shot. I scowled.

Alessio was only one thing. The mafia. That is who he is. What he did. His entire life. He would kill anyone, anyone, he had to. That is what he had told me. For the first time I fully allowed myself to think of what Alessio did. How many had he killed? How many others had died with his drugs in their veins? He sat back and gained as others lost. I'd never seen a flicker of sympathy on that strong sculpted face of his, not towards anyone other than myself.

As I pulled up to Alessio's house, though house was hardly a worthy description, my chest tightened. I was unusually nervous. Scared to be around Alessio, something I had thought we'd long since passed.

When I came into the house I did so as quietly as possible. It was late. There was a light in the TV room that flashed. I followed the light of the television and found Alessio. He was lying across the couch. Suit and dress shirt thrown to the floor, suspenders hanging around his waist. He was sleeping.

Had he been waiting up for me? My heart fluttered at the thought and suddenly his phone rang and he sat up immediately pulling it to his ear.

"Go." He said not sounding at all as though he'd just woken up. He stood up and walked to his right. "What the fụck do you mean you lost her?" He turned, to pace to his left and saw me. He stared at me in disbelief for a moment before growling into the phone. "She's here you shit." He hung up before waiting for a reply.

"You were following me?" I shouted not giving him the chance to speak first.

"Of course I was." His tone was flat and cold.

I gasped. He hadn't even tried to deny it. "You bloody bastard." I turned on my heel to storm out.

"Katherine." He said in a sharp tone and I stopped.

I turned back around to face him, he was walking towards me. "You're an asshole. A dirty crook. My father was shot you-"

He kissed me.

And fụck if nothing else in the world could have possibly pissed me off more. I shoved him away and then smacked his chest with the palms of both of my hands. He grabbed my wrists before I could hit him again. "Where were you? What the fụck are you wearing?" He said glancing to the NYPD jacket I had completely forgotten Nash had given me.

"What's the matter? Tracking device on my phone not working?" I hissed and tried to pull away.

"I was worried." I stopped struggling and simply glared at him. "You weren't in the best state of mind when you left. I let you go, I knew exactly where you'd be going."