Chapter Thirty-Eight

"I really can't believe you." I muttered to Alessio as I rubbed A&D ointment on his shoulder. "Who does this?"

"A lot of people Katherine." He sighed.

We'd gone to dinner, had gotten ice cream, taken the dog for a walk, and now as we were getting ready for sleep I was still going on about the tattoo.

"A lot of crazy stupid and insane people."

He didn't humor me with a response.

"I'm serious Alessio. What if this doesn't work out?"

"What was it you said before? What if you sleep with my best friend?" He chuckled.

"I was just saying! We've been...rocky. And things happen, things that tear apart relationships! You never know how things are going to turn out. You don't make these permanent kind of decisions about your body based on your feelings. I mean, damn. What if I leave you? What if I get killed?"

"I won't let you."

I hesitated for a moment and then sat flat on the bed again. "Won't let me what? Sleep with you best friend? Leave you? Get killed?"

"All of the above naturally."

"You wouldn't let me leave you?"

"Of course not." He said and stood up from the bed.

I rolled my eyes. "This is what I'm talking about with the whole you tend to strike fear into people's heart thing. Who says things like that?"

"I do, obviously."

"Whatever. I still think it's a horrible idea. I mean, so many things could go wrong or happen. What if five years from now you're with someone else and they ask you about all of your tattoo? How are you going to explain that, huh?"

"It's a rose Katherine. I didn't get your name across my forehead, I didn't get a portrait of your face on my chest. It's a rose. I highly doubt anyone will be asking me for a vivid description on it."

"Well still...you'll know."

"I'll always know." He agreed.

He undid his pants and threw them into a hamper. I watched him get ready to go to sleep in a routine he always followed. Stripping. Brushing his teeth, washing his face. Surprisingly typical things for a not so typical person to do. After a few minutes I joined him in the bathroom and brushed my teeth beside him. I kept my eyes on him in the mirror and he seemed completely oblivious to my existence.

For some reason I couldn't get over him. I couldn't stop watching him. All day I had stared at him in disbelief and shook my head slowly. Was it shock at his idiocy or the shock at how much he truly loved me? I wasn't sure.

I thought back to the first time I had ever met Alessio. Where he had shot my phone, he'd been so cold, tauntingly powerful and in some sick way he loved to watch me squirm. In some ways that hadn't changed.

Alessio spit into the sink and I mimicked his action. He glanced to me briefly and then began brushing again, I did the same.

Alessio sure did love to make me squirm. But not in the uncomfortable power struggle kind of way. It was a raw, physical, over the edge in lust eyes rolling into the back of my head kind of way.

He spit again and I did as well. We both pulled a small disposable paper cup from a dispenser and rinsed before spitting again.

When he cupped his hands under the water and splashed a handful of cold water over his face. I did the same. "What exactly are you doing?" He finally questioned and turned to me.