My Record

The next few efforts on the rock wall failed so, I only have one day left to train. I've almost learned every thing else, weaving, cutting, stabilizing, making fires, and of course throwing knifes, yet I can't climb this wall. I place my foot on the bottom rock then try to climb, like always I slip and dangle in the air. The girl with the fox face walks over to me and helps me down. Clove walks past and says, "Oh look Foxface is helping the Dimond Dud!" "She's not a dud!", Foxface hisses, "-And when she kills you in the arena you'll be sorry!" Clove snarls and rushes out of the area as Foxface smiles pleased with herself.

     "You really think so Foxface?", I ask her and she looks hurt but says, "Yeah... My name is not Foxface you know..." "Oh, What is your name?",  I ask her then she purks up and says, "Faylnn." Rue climbs down from the top of the rock wall and smiles at Faylnn, "Is this our new ally?", Rue asked I turned to Fay and she said, "Sure."

...

"Ok.", Fay says reviewing the plan, "I'll do the puzzle, Rue you'll bound from obstacle to obstacle, and Prim-" "I do what's never been done before.", I whisper and Fay nods. We all look at each other sharing a silent agreement when the voice rings out, "Faylnn." She sighs and walks out of the waiting area leaving me and Rue to think about our act. Before we know it Rue is called so I walk over to Rory I sit next to him and ask, "What are you doing for this?" He looks at me and smiles as if I should know something I don't then softly answers, "My Specialty..." I knit my eyebrows and stare at him, he just gets up and leaves to the sound of his name being called.

     I sit there watching the clock tick, ten minutes, twenty, twenty five, finally my name is called and I walk into the training area. The game makers stare at their meal, most are drunk but I grab my knifes and walk ten feet away from the dummy. Most people, Clove even, can only make eight feet away so I throw a knife and it sticks right in the center. None of them are paying attention so I walk another twenty feet away until I can barely make out the bullseye. This gets their attention but, I can't make it this far. I hold my breath and throw, Nine seconds, that's how long it took for the knife to lodge into it's target. They nod signaling for me to leave so I step out through the doorway grinning from ear to ear.

     ...

    I watch the names flash across the screen with their number underneath, Fay got a ten and so did Rue, but Rory got an eleven, "Wow, what is his "Specialty"?, I wonder. I'm next, the numbers take a few seconds to process, twelve, Caesar calls out, "Twelve?! First time in all of history!" "First time in all of history", the voice rings out in my head, twelve.