His Butler with an Exorcist for a Mistress (prologue)

Prologue

August 27th, 1889

    The letters were placed in thick black envelops sealed closed with silver wax stamped with the house’s seal. No expenses had been spared in order to obtain the highest quality of paper and ink, though there was a darker magic to the letters then the human eye could catch. Each was addressed and hand delivered to their receivers who weren’t yet aware of the mournful news these fancy parchments carried.

    The last one to be recieved was by a young girl with curly blonde locks. Like usual they were split evenly into two curly pigtails at the sides of her head and a single brightly colored ribbon was pushed back behind her bangs. Her outfit was just a frilly and girly as the day before, matching her overly excitable complex. Though at the moment the girl looked slightly miffed as she tuned out her cheery maid.

    “Lady Elizabeth.”

    The smooth voice was easily recognizable to the young girl, and would’ve been to anyone even if they’d only heard it once. There was something too alluring about the tone and darkly enticing for one to ever forget the way it tugged at all your darkest desires.

    The young lady didn’t seem aware of these facts and instead her face instantly brighten as she turned around in her perch besides the large window overlooking the front lawn of the estate. She was surprised she hadn’t seen the butler arrive, but she was too naive to question his appearance. If she hadn’t she might have noted that something was odd about that since she had been staring out the window all morning, no one would have been able to slip into the estate without her seeing them.

    “Sebastian,” she cried a friendly smile on her face as her green eyes shone with excitement. “What brought you here? Is Ciel with you?”

    At the mention of the boy’s name, Sebastian’s faced turned grave. The girl might have been half blind to many things around her, but she automatically noted the change of expression the butler wore and was instantly alarmed. Only the worst possible situations could be conjured up the young girl’s head as she stood up and approached the man. She didn’t suspect at all that it might have all been an act, she trusted the butler more then she should have.

    “What’s wrong?” She questioned. “Is Ciel sick?

    The butler shook his head and produced the black envelop from his coat, handing it to the girl, “I’m afraid not, Miss Elizabeth.”

    If only the girl had known sooner. She would never have turned to smile at the butler, she would never have approached the man, nor would she have taken the envelop with shaky hands, and most certainly she would never have opened the letter to read the horrible news that lay inside.

    Her heart tore itself to pieces as she read the words she never believed she would ever have to read in her life and still to the end of the girl’s life, those very words would forever haunt her every moment she was alone.

    “In memory of Ciel Phantomhive, who died on August twenty-sixth, 1889.”

                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ten years ago

    The day had been tiresome as always for the woman in her early thirties. Running an academy was never an easy thing, but running the academy that she did was a physically and emotionally draining task. Everyday she felt as if more and more of her life was sucked away from her, but yet she still woke up every morning and went to work all the same.