Finally, he turns to us with red eyes, sweat covered skin, and scratches covering his neck. He grasps his shirt and weakly yanks it up to displaying his marking.

*                                                                                          *                                                                             *

"I saw my brother, Riley, hang himself." Dylan finally tells us after we settle down in a nearly deserted diner. I place a hand on his shoulder to comfort him. I knew his brother died, I just didn't know he killed himself. Dylan was only eight when it happened. His brother was fourteen. I cringe thinking of Riley's young body dangling there lifelessly and poor Dylan witnessing that.

"I mean, I knew he was unhappy and all, but I didn't think he would just off himself like that. Like we were just kids. . ." He continues, with a furrowed eyebrows. "And hanging? That has to be the worst possible way. So slow and painful. . ." He shudders and rubs his neck.

"Is that what you're nightmare about?" Dem asks,  his face blank. Dylan just nods, turning his face away from us, understandably finished discussing this.

"We thought you were going to die." Dem expresses, honestly. I kick his leg under the table. He ignores it. 

"So did I."  Dylan's agrees, not taking any offense. "But something just kind of made it stop."

"Mad." I say, recalling the weird event.  "She was saying something." Collectively, we turn to gaze at her, expectantly.

"What?" She says, not liking the sudden attention. "I thought he was dying too. I was just telling him to accept it. Not to suffer or be afraid, because that's exactly what it wants. . . I didn't think it was going to resurrect him." She returns back to playing with a sugar packet when a waitress comes over to take our order.

"Hi. I'm Lillian. What can I get you?" She asks us. Her eyes a bit apprehensive, most likely pondering why we're not in school.

"Coffee." Kellan says first and everyone else orders the same. I'm about to order but when I look up I see a man gazing at us penetratingly. He has pale skin with wrinkles on his forehead. His black hair is peppered with white strands. His face is familiar but I can't seem to figure out how I might know him.

"Abigail." Dylan nudges me, drawing my attention away from the man.

"Just water for me. Thanks." I say, looking over at the man again but he's no longer staring.

"Maybe you should have got some caffeine, Abigail. I don't think sleeping is particular safe right now." Kellan says, looking paranoid. I realize he's the only one who hasn't been marked. I want to ask what his biggest fear is but I chose not to, figuring it's not significant right now.

Lillian returns fairly quickly with their coffees and my water. I pick up my cup along with everyone else and begin to drink. Not knowing how thirsty I was, I finish the entire glass in a series of gulps, relishing as the cold liquid satisfies my thirst. Goosebumps arise on my skin and I shudder.