Chapter 24

I groan and hit my clock, turning the alarm off. No alarms should be made on a Saturday. They just shouldn't. It should be a law. But unfortunately I had to get up. I had a camping trip to attend.

I did not want to go. I actually really didn't want to go, but my parents said it would be a good learning opportunity for me. I really tried to negotiate, but then Gregg placed a bet with me, claiming that he would give me a hundred dollars if I last the whole day there without calling them about wanting to come home. And that was clearly an offer I was not giving up. So I am going to get my butt out of bed and get ready for this camping trip.

They took me shopping yesterday, where I bought everything I would need for this trip. Thankfully, the weather was shockingly going to be fairly warm today so I didn't have to pack for any cold weather. I head to the shower, making sure that I spend as much time in it as possible. I decide to wear a pair of old jeans that I don't care to ruin, a plain navy blue long sleeved shirt and some hiking boots. I put my hair into a low side ponytail and don't really bother doing any makeup. We're going to be in the woods, what's the point?

I have to be at the school before 8 because that is the time the bus is leaving. The camping site that we are going to is 2 hours away from here and according to Mr. Rosen; he has a bunch of activities for us. I don't know what those activities are and I am a little afraid to find out. I finish packing and make sure that I eat an adequate breakfast because I have no idea what they are going to feed me later. I was nervous to be spending the whole day with Zane, but that's no shocker, is it?

"Are you excited for your first camping trip?" Gregg asks as he drives me to school.

"Uh...no." I say, causing him to laugh wholeheartedly.

"You know you still have time to back out of the bet."

"Nope," I shake my head. "I am doing this. I will not be misguided by your words."

"Okay. Just remember if you call come home even one time—"

"Dad, words of advice: I don't think you should wait by the phone tonight. I'm winning this bet."

"I don't know, Z. I just don't see you as the nature type. After a few hours I know you'll want to come home."

"I would really appreciate it if you would have a least a little faith in your own child. It's really discouraging."

Gregg laughs and parks in front of the school and laugh before reaching over to kiss my forehead. "I'm sorry, just a little friendly competition. I think you'll have a great time and I want you to have a great time. That's the whole point of this bet."

"Well, thank you for the words of encouragement. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay. I'll see you later honey."

I give him one last smile before climbing out of the car. There is a large coach bus in front and a bunch of kids standing beside it socializing happily. I see Mr. Rosen speaking to another teacher. He looks very prepared for his day in the wilderness and the sight of him makes me want to laugh.

This was only for a day, yet the amount of bags he had looked like we were staying for a week. I see a clipboard in his hand and I decide to go up to him so that he knows I am here. When he notices me standing off to the side waiting for him to finish his conversation, he turns his attention to me.

"Good morning, Miss Russo."

"Good morning, Mr. Rosen."

"Are you ready to have some camping fun?" He smiles brightly at me.