Chapter 18

"Zuri! You look stunning!" My mother gasps as she enters the room.

We were at the cathedral in one of the back rooms where our hair stylists and makeup artists were. I had just finished getting my hair done and now I was getting my makeup done. The wedding isn't until 4, but I have been up all day helping set up at the dance hall where the big reception was being held at. I could use a nap, but I knew that was not going to happen.

"Mom, you can't even see me yet." I laugh while keeping my eyes closed.

"I know, but still."

"You're the one who's going to look beautiful once you're fully done—not that you're not beautiful any other day." I peek a look at her before I have to close my eyes again for the makeup artist.

My mother had her hair and makeup done already. Her black hair was put into a half up half down hairstyle. The top half of her hair was put into an intricate bun, one I don't even know how the hair stylist managed to do. The bottom part was left out in large curls that accentuated her face nicely. Her makeup was shimmery and light, which made her look so bright and dewy. She was truly a queen.

"I'm so nervous!" She gushes. "It's going to be all eyes on me."

"Not trying to sound rude or anything," Raven says, who is sitting in the chair beside me for her makeup as well. "But isn't that the point of having a wedding?"

"Yes, but now that the day is here I just feel so uneasy." My mother confesses.

"Are you having second thoughts?" I ask. I am finally able to open my eyes because she is finished with my eye makeup.

"No, of course not. I love Gregg so much and I finally want to be his. But I am just so nervous because it's my first wedding and with a man I truly love."

"You haven't had a wedding before?" Raven asks.

"No," My mother shakes her head. "Ken and I just went and got married in a courthouse. I was young and stupid then."

"Yeah, well it all worked for the best." I tell her, which she agrees to. "You deserve this, Mom. And this is going to be the best night of your life. I'm excited to be a part of it all."

"Me, too," She slips her hand in mine and smiles at me. "I can't wait until it's your day."

"But we're not going to rush that." I remind her.

"Of course not! No marriages for you any time soon, young lady."

"Agreed." I giggle.

"Nicole! We need you!" Brianna pops her head into the room. Her eyes flicker towards me, but I don't pay her any attention. She waves, probably at Raven, and I look away when Raven waves back. She already has her hair and makeup done and is in her dress.

Raven didn't stop being friends with Brianna because I stopped talking to her, but she told Brianna that it was going to take a little bit for her to gain her trust back. I know they're relationship is a little strained because of what happened, but I also know they are trying to get to a better place.

"Okay, I'm coming." Mom stands up. "I'll see you ladies."

"Bye, Mom." I wave as she rushes out of the room.

All of the bridesmaids were ready for the wedding now, and it was just Raven and I who were the last two to get ready. And even though Raven wasn't a bridesmaid, my mom still paid to have her hair and makeup done which was very nice of her to do. Raven wore a simple, yet appropriate black dress and her hair was in long, big waves.