Chapter 34

"Hey, did you do the English homework?" Austin asks, as he walks me to my locker.

"Do you really need me to answer that question?" I ask him. Since when don't I do my homework?

"Right, see I knew you did." He smirks.

"Okay." I turn to look at him.

"So can I see it?"

"Austin!" I exclaim.

"What?" He hunches his shoulders.

"Why didn't you do it? It was super easy."

"I know, I know. But you see...I had a lot of things going on last night—"

"The only thing I remember you doing last night is playing on your Xbox."

"Because it was important!" He says which causes me to scowl at him. "I'm serious! I was playing live with a few friends and these other kids joined and we had to kick their asses."

"You are unbelievable, Austin. Try telling Mrs. Anderson that, because that was the worst excuse ever."

"Come on, Zuri! You're my sister...wait, my own twin. We were in the womb together and you can't do me a favor?" He begins to grow defensive. "After all of those times I came to pick you up from wherever—"

"With a car that we are supposed to share, but rarely do." I remind him.

"Yeah, whatever. I do so much for you and this one time I just need you to do me this favor you can't do it? I can't even call you my twin right now." He holds his hand up at me.

"Oh shut up," I roll my eyes and push his hand down. "I never even said I wasn't going to give it to you."

"So you're going to give it to me?" His eyes widen with hope.

"Sure, I guess. But don't make it so obvious that she'll know that our work is the same." I warn before reaching into my book bag to get my homework out.

"Duh. I know how this goes."

"Ahh, right. I forgot I have a professional slacker on my hands." I say, causing him to laugh as I pass him the paper.

"Thank you. You're the best, sis."

"Of course I am," I smile, causing him to roll his eyes. "What would life be like if I weren't the studious one?"

"Weird as hell," He huffs. "Oh, here comes your man candy."

"Eww, don't say that." My face frowns in disgust, causing him to laugh.

"Hey," I hear Zane's voice before I actually see him. I turn and he is at my side with a friendly smile.

"Hey." I smile. I snake my arm around his waist and pull him in for a tight side hug, but don't let go after I am done squeezing him.

"Okay, so I'm gonna head to the library now so I can get this done." Austin says.

"Um, when am I getting my paper back?"

"You have English the last period of the day, right?"

"Yes."

"I'll give it to you at lunch."

"Alright. Take care of my paper. I don't want to see any wrinkles." I warn, but mostly only as a joke.

"Now come on, Zuri. Have I ever given you a reason to not trust me?" Austin smirks.

"Yes," I frown, causing him to laugh. "Besides, my twin senses will start tingling and I will track you down if I have to."

"At least you'll be putting those senses to use. Catch you guys later." He waves before rushing down the hall towards the library.