Part 29

Saturday, September 19th // Cameron's POV

"Morning," I said to my parents, who were quietly talking amongst themselves in the kitchen. I grabbed a bowl from the cabinet and filled it with some cocoa pebbles, then added the milk.

"Hey Hun," my mom replied, while my dad stayed silent. "Cam, honey, your father and I have been discussing it, and well," my mom began, pausing to look at my dad with an uneasy expression.

"Your mother and I have decided to move the divorce date up to this weekend," my dad finished.

The spoon I had grabbed from the drawer had tumbled to the floor and I was standing there in utter disappointment and anger.

"Honey, it's only because your father needs to get down to New York as soon as possible, for work," my mom added, trying to lighten the mood, but she failed.

"That still doesn't change the fact that my family is falling apart," I argued through clenched teeth as I ran up the stairs and slammed my door.

I sat on my bed and put my head in my hands, trying not to cry, but failed when I felt the hot tingly feeling of tears run down my cheek.

I grabbed my phone and dialed Jay's number. "Hey Cam, what's up?" I heard her soft voice ask into the phone.

"Jay," I began. "I need you," I finished, wiping my cheeks with the back of my hand and trying to toughen up a little bit.

"I'm coming," she assured instantly, before hanging up the phone. I threw my phone on my bed and continued to try not to cry.

I don't usually cry, I'm not usually sensitive, but when you find out your family is splitting up and your dad is moving across the country, it's hard not to.

I heard the sound of a skateboard rolling down the street through my open window, and then the pitter-patter of those familiar white vans hitting the ground. I slightly smiled when I saw her burst through the door and run towards me, as I stood up.

She wrapped her arms around my neck and held me tighter than she ever has. I squeezed my eyes shut and hugged her tight, inhaling her calm and comforting strawberry scent.

She ran her fingers through my hair and it's just as if all the problems I've dealt with melted away from my head, and all I could think of was her.

Neither of us said anything, we were just holding each other, blocking out the rest of the world.  "It's okay," she reassured.  I smiled and buried my head in her hair.

"I love you."

"I love you too Cameron," she replied.  I smiled widely and enjoyed this moment of pure bliss and zero thoughts.  Jay's the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I don't know what I'd be doing without her.  "Let's do something," she said after a few seconds, pulling away but keeping her arms around my neck.

"Like what?" I asked, my face centimeters away from hers as my eyes flickered down from her eyes to her lips and back up to her eyes.

"Nash texted me and asked if we wanted to go go-karting," she suggested calmly, looking into my eyes and waiting for a response.

"That sounds fun, what time?" I asked, leaning my forehead against hers and pecking her lips.

"Hold on," she said, grabbing her phone out of her jean shorts pocket and opening up her messages with Nash. "Ah, he said around 1:30, that sound good?" She asked, returning her phone to her pocket.