Part 18

Saturday, September 5th // Cameron's POV

I was currently laying in my bed at three in the morning with Jay in my arms. 

She fell asleep at Jackson's house last night, and I wanted to cuddle with her so I brought her and Max here.  But for some unknown reason, I could not sleep right now. I was jumping from thought to thought, going over everything that's been going through my mind.

I was thinking about Jay, surprise surprise.  I kissed her yesterday, and she kissed back, what does that mean for us?  I'm still going to ask her on a date, but I want it to be amazing.

My mom has been in and out of business trips lately and my dad just hasn't been home.  He hasn't met Jay, he doesn't even know about Jay.  Now that I think about it, she hasn't asked me about him.

I guess she doesn't want to make me upset, even though it's not a sensitive topic.  I think she doesn't want to be asked about hers, so she doesn't ask about anyone else's.  She respects my privacy, even though I'd tell her in a heart beat.

Jack Gilinsky.  He's been acting kind of shady lately, he didn't really look at me anymore, and he leaves Jay alone, which I'm happy about. 

He's been sneaking around, avoiding public gatherings, and not sitting with us at lunch.  He sits with Ally and a few other people I don't know. 

"Cam?" I heard Jay's tired voice ask.  She turned around, facing me and looking at me with exhaustion written all over her newly awoken face.

"Hm?" I mumbled, pulling her back into me and putting my head in the crook of her neck, inhaling her strawberry scent.

"Can't sleep?" She asked, running her fingers through my hair.  I hummed in response and placed a kiss on her jawline.  Without warning, she sat up, stood up and walked into my closet and came out wearing a pair of my sweatpants and one of my hoodies.  "C'mon," she urged, holding her hand out for me to take, which I did.

I stood up and slipped a shirt on, intertwining our fingers.  She tiptoed out of my door and down the stairs.  "Where are we going?" I asked her, gripping her hand.

"You'll see."

We walked down the driveway, hand in hand, barefoot, at three in the morning.  She swung our hands back and forth as I gazed at her, and we ended up walking to the beach. 

I continued to hold her hand as we walked on the shore and to the 10-foot-tall lifeguard chair.  She climbed up and sat in it, watching the night stars as I sat next to her, slinging my arm around her shoulder and pulling her close.

"Will you go on a date with me?"

I didn't know I was going to say that out loud.  I'm wondering where that random shot of confidence came from. She looked out at the ocean for a moment, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Yes," she replied, leaning her head on my shoulder and exhaling deeply.

"You don't know how long I've been wanting to ask you that," I admitted, letting out a chuckle.

"You don't know how long I've been waiting for you to ask."