I was about to turn the corner, when I ran into someone. “Sorry!” I said and helped them pick up their notebooks. On the cover was their name and…. Crap.

               I looked up at Emma who looked like she was about to murder me. I pursed my lips and gave her the notebooks before trying to quietly walk away. Of course that didn’t go over well. She grabbed my shoulder and spun me around. You know, for such a small girl she was more ferocious than a velociraptor.

               “What the hell did you do?” She seethed at me.

               “What?”

               “Noah broke up with me yesterday morning. Completely broke up without a second thought. And it was through text, do you realize how shitty that is? He was with you that night. You must’ve done something to him because you ruined my fucking relationship.”

               I snorted. “Don’t flatter yourself, you did a lot of ruining yourself with your attitude.” Her grip on my shoulder tightened and I clenched my teeth together. “Get your hands off of me.”

               A sickening smile spread across her face. “No.”

               “Do it now.”

               “Or what?”

               A sly grin appeared onto my lips. “Then I’ll just keep beating you at everything, just like I’ve been doing this entire time. Especially with Noah.”

               Her face fell and so did her hand. I realized that I hit a low point for her. Good. She’s been ruining my life for weeks, it’s nice for a change in scenery. She bit her lip, trying to think of a comeback.

               “Stay away from Noah.” There was a small quiver in her voice.

               “Why?” I smirked. “I’m his best friend, but you? You’re nothing to him. Face it, Emma. You have nothing on me now. There’s nothing you can do to me. That must really suck, right?”

               Her mouth opened and closed, trying to think of something else to say. Nothing must’ve came to her mind because she huffed out, turned around by her heel, and stomped down the hall and went out of sight.

               I rolled my eyes and went back to looking for Sam. That whole charade with Emma took awhile so I didn’t have much time to find him. After searching for ten minutes, I finally gave up and decided to head back to the lunch room to eat. In a strike of luck, I found him in the same place where we had made out at school. His eyes widened when he saw me and I stepped right up to him with an angry expression.

               “You’ve been avoiding me,” I accused.

               “Yeah, I have.”

               “Why?” I asked, my voice becoming small. “I know you’re mad, I just don’t know why—“

               “Are you really that oblivious, Melody? Can you seriously not tell why I’m mad at you right now?”

               I pursed my lips and crossed my arms over my chest. “I—“

               “It’s the whole bet. I know that I shouldn’t be jealous over something like this, but I am. You would rather spend time with guys who just want a taste of you instead of me, someone how has stood by you ever since we first met. I’m just tired of being second best—“