27. • unknown •

Start from the beginning

"I swear my parents have separation anxiety or something, you would think knowing Shay is with me would ease some of the worry," Ryan remarked with puff, sitting by the counter next to Cassandra as Jason remained standing on the other side.

"I mean you did decide at the last minute," the artist retaliated lightheartedly with a chuckle. It wasn't until Jason cleared his throat that the pair's gaze landed on him.

"So, Ryan... right?" Jason's question was answered with a light nod from the socialite. "Would you admit to the fact that Cassandra was mildly scared of the flight or overboard terrified?"

"Second one," Ryan mused with a sip of coffee, only to earn another eye roll from the artist. She would never understand her friend's fascination with her reaction to the first flight she'd ever taken.

"He's exaggerating," the artist refuted.

"I thought she would actually rip my arm off if I didn't put that safety pamphlet down." Ryan's words sent Jason into an overbearing laugh.

"Yeah, yeah! That thing she does where she's too terrified but would gladly risk some of her safety just to slaughter you," Jason agreed.

"So annoying," Cassandra muttered under her breath as she shielded her face. Her gaze remained fixed on Ryan as the corner of his lips lifted with another laugh.

"You know, it's crazy how every person I've met here so far has been incredibly entertaining."

The brunette grinned in agreement, amused by the true statement. Her lips tugged upwards as she looked at him in response to his gaze. Surely everyone the artist had had the privilege to meet and consider a close friend was undeniably vivacious in their own ways. And regardless of the teasing and embarrassment, the greatest blessing she was grateful for was having them in her life. She had absentmindedly categorized them as her true family and no matter how much she tried to avoid the attachment towards them, feeling at home within their presence was a feeling she continued to suppress.

"You have no idea," she beamed with a slight shake of her head.

"I guess I'll have to admit I teased you about being scared on the flight, too. And I didn't even know you that well," Ryan mused towards Cassandra with a suggestive lift of his brows, a remark that clearly convinced Jason Badal of his eternal friendship with the new guy.

"We're going to get along just fine, my friend."

Cassandra groaned as she watched the men's hands clasped together into a swift handshake over the counter. Although, both were fully aware their alliance was something the young artist secretly hoped for- the subtle prediction that perhaps Jason would morph into a closer friend to Ryan himself as opposed to her made her chuckle with a shake of her head.

"Prepare yourself for excessive hugs, okay?" Ryan chuckled at Cassandra's warning as they walked up to the infamous diner, which held the vivacious elder who would surely cause a scene upon seeing him again.

"Oh, c'mon. She won't be that bad."

"Are you kidding? She almost killed me for being away for a whole week. I would hold my breath, buddy."