8. • encounters •

[to all who hope to find that certain person who makes every word out of your mouth seem effortless.]

                                  • • • •
Shay was quite alarmed by the brunette's reaction towards her name, watching as her emerald eyes widened in awe. There was an unspoken tension as the frigid breeze danced across the city, a familiar chill overtaking Cassandra's spine.

"Are you okay?" Shay asked, now faced with sudden discomfort from Cassandra as she sat next to her. Her dark brows softened from her face now, realizing the shocking expression etched in her facial features.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I just— I'm pretty sure I met your brother during one of his flights." Cassandra muttered with a soft smile, a sharp contrast to the unwavering nerves in her stomach. Emilia's urgency in speaking of this rare gift finally turned serious in Cassandra's mind, now that she began to realize there was nothing coincidental when it came to this man.

"Really?" Shay scoffed, "no kidding. Well, I guess you'll see him again tomorrow." The blonde allowed an amused grin to form on her lips, only to then soften once she took into consideration Cassandra's plans. "Sorry, I mean- never mind. I don't expect you to stay with me until he comes." The blonde's sudden dismissive words lingered in the air. Shay was never one to enjoy forced company, not typically anyway. Yet now as she sat with Cassandra, the idea of facing her brother alone proved to be a terrible option.

"I have two beds in my hotel room," Cassandra cooed, "you're welcome to stay until he comes." She felt quite surprised at her own words, and yet the idea of seeing Ryan Eckhardt once more was merely another occurrence to be pleased about. Cassandra had spent several weeks pushing away the possibilities of this sudden encounter, and after a while, fighting against it proved to be incredibly futile.

"You mean that?"

"Of course. I'd like the company anyways."

The women shared friendly grins, seemingly solving each other's problems. Brisk wind intervened the exchange as they both stood from the bench and walked together. Despite the unusual circumstances of their meeting, it didn't stop them from enjoying the impromptu walk around the city, allowing all the fateful baggage of their past to fly off with the wind.

"You are incredible!" Shay exclaimed, her hazel eyes now skimming through the pile of artwork sprawled across the hotel room. It'd been a while since she'd seen something so mesmerizing, something that could catch her attention in the simplest form. Her sudden excitement mirrored one of a child, watching as different landscapes, portraits, and studies waltzed across her eyes.

"Thank you," Cassandra laughed once more. The noticeable change in Shay's attitude was quite captivating. It was mesmerizing watching the guarded-up blonde now effortlessly laughing without strain. Her reddened skin seemed to be prominent now that the blonde hadn't bothered to touch up her makeup, which reminded Cassandra of the horrid circumstances of which she'd met the young woman. Nevertheless, her youthful excitement was enough of a distraction from the situation.

"Could you draw me?" Shay mumbled with vivid eyes. Cassandra couldn't help but laugh at her excitement, and the reoccurring question she'd always received from her talent. Normally she would decline, given that she had plenty of work to do. However, the night turned out to be different, now that she realized all of the works she'd completed laid peacefully around the room.

"Sure."

"Wait, seriously?" Shay pressed in awe, her excitement nearly impossible to suppress.