chapter six; sun and moon

henley sat in her new bedroom. it was awfully strange, having a bedroom.

it was weird to have your own bedroom.

'that doesn't even make sense,' henley thought to herself. she grabbed her machete and creeped down the stairs. all of the lights were off, and it looked like no one was up.

the girl creeped to the front door and slid out to the porch.

she sighed and sat on the steps, studying the stars in the sky. henley could see the little dipper; but that was it. the rest of the sky was a dull yet grim navy, still providing little light.

footsteps echoed from inside of the house. she'd left the door open a smidge for when she went back inside.

if she went back inside.

henley hopped up, holding her weapon in front of her.

"henley, it's just me," a voice said.
daryl stepped out of the darkness of the house, holding his hands up in a 'don't stab me' gesture.

henley sighed and lowered her knife. "oh," she let out a sigh of relief. "hey." the girl gave a faint smile, brushing her long hair over her shoulder.

"couldn't sleep?" daryl said and sat down next to henley on the steps.

"not that easy these days," she said, staring up at the sky.

there was a brief moment of silence.

"i remember you, you know." henley spoke quietly.

daryl, his face turned away from henley, felt a smile creep across his lips.

"yeh?"

she nodded. "yeah. it was you who slipped the 20 dollars and card under my door for my birthday, right? with the arrow and 'd' as your signature?"

daryl let out a quiet chuckle. "every year."

"well, each year, i saved the money to get this. my mom didn't know," henley gave a sorrowful smile at the memory of her mother.

henley pulled up her sleeve to show daryl a tattoo, illuminated by the moonlight.

it was the sun and moon with an arrow through it

daryl didn't know what to say. it was so sweet, yet sorrow was hidden in the meaning of the tattoo.

"i'm sorry."

henley surprised herself by leaning over to give daryl a hug.

a second passed before daryl let his wall down and embraced her back.

"it's not your fault."

the two looked up at the sky.

"you know, i used to think that the moon and sun would always revolve, always rise and set.

they still do even through all of this. they still rise. they still set. there is some hope, i think. maybe one single chance out of a million, but there is a possibility."

"and you ain't going anywhere, a'right? i ain't goin' nowhere."

oOh update with sappy henley

more carl action next chapter lol soRry