three; stained glass souls

"why me?" henley asked.

"i just told you." rick said.

henley shook her head. "you could just leave me here. i just met you, took your weapons and almost shot your foot. and i'd do it again if you came closer. so, why me?"

rick and daryl exchanged glances.

"how many walkers have you killed?"

"i've lost count."

"how many people have you killed?"

"three."

"why?"

"two tried to hurt my family, and my best friend was going to turn into a walker when it all started. she begged me to kill her," henley said, flinching at the word 'best friend'. her two guns were still in her clammy hands, pointed at daryl and rick.

"hey, we trust you. you just need to trust us," rick started.

henley shook her head. "just... let me leave. it's too good to be true."

the girl opened the car door and went to hop in, when carl spoke.

"wait." he said. henley raised an eyebrow, pulling one of her guns back out.

"what?" she spat.

"why?"

"i just told you."

"you'll never know if you don't try. you could die out here," he reasoned.

"i think i've managed pretty well, thanks." henley started.

"carl, just let her go. it's her choice." rick placed a hand on the boy's shoulder.

"rick, duck," henley said effortlessly and shot a walker (in the eye) that was approaching rick.

"this is why we need you," carl started.

henley was tired. exhausted, and in need of a home. she sighed, giving in to defeat. her weapons dropped down to her sides.

henley hesitated before saying, "you seem like reasonable people. i'll check it out. no promises. take your stupid weapons. i'll follow behind. but..." she made eye contact with the boy. "he comes with me." she nodded, happy with her decision. now really wasn't the time to let her hormones run wild, but he was attractive.

and, why did this boy fight for her to come with them?

the blonde hopped in the car, throwing the weapons in the passenger seat and then rolling down the window. "well?"

rick shook his head. "no, i'm sorry. i'm not letting you go with my son."

carl put his hand on his father's shoulder. "dad, i can handle myself. let me go. please," he whispered, quiet enough for henley not to hear. "she's intriguing."

rick rolled his eyes and sighed, giving the boy a slight pat allowing him to go. he focused his attention to henley.

"you hurt him," rick raised his index finger and pointed it at henley. "i'll make your life hell. you understand me?"

"hey, it'll be in self defense if anything."

carl hopped in the passenger seat, a gun in his hand.

a few minutes after they had left the gas station and were tailing behind the kia, carl spoke.

"who the hell are you?"