14: In A Dusky Grey

Alrighty guys. Here's this little piece of gold, one of my personal favorites of Luke, to help you paint a mental picture portrait. Here we go...

- - - - - - - - - -

Luke unlocked the door to his apartment and held it open for Calum.

"Thank you," Calum said and stepped inside. Luke came in and closed the door behind him. Calum watched as he turned the lock and put his keys on the table by the door. Luke took his shoes off and put them next to the table. Calum's mom always made he and his sister do that back home. He put his Vans next to Luke's worn-in short boots, and set his bag next to them.

"Feel free to sit wherever you like," Luke said.

Jesus, this was awkward. It seemed so planned, so step-by-step. Why couldn't he be spontaneous and cinematic like Michael was with Ashton? Why couldn't he just throw the lock and walk over and start things without a word? Why couldn't he put the rest of the world away, disconnect completely and just be here, with Calum? He wasn't that kind of person, he supposed. He didn't even know if all that was what Calum wanted. Luckily, Calum just looked around with mild interest at Luke's living space, seemingly fine.

Calum sat down on the sofa. Luke stood a few feet away, tapping his fingers together.

"That's a really nice guitar," Calum said.

Luke looked over at the Mira hanging on the wall. "Thank you. I've had a few but this has been my favorite." Calum nodded. Luke shifted between his feet. "Can I get you anything?"

Calum smiled. "No, thank you."

Luke sighed and smiled nervously. He walked over and sat stiffly next to Calum. He faced his student, his friend, his equal, and swallowed hard. "I'm still nervous."

"Maybe I am a little, too," Calum said, but to Luke he didn't sound like it.

Calum watched Luke bite his lip where the piercing used to be and tap his fingers on his knees while he tried to figure out what to do. Should he initiate? Or should he wait for Luke to? He didn't want to wait. "Luke?"

Luke looked up at him. Calum leaned over and kissed him tentatively. Then he pulled back a little and looked into Luke's eyes, trying to gauge things.

Luke's eyes flicked back and forth, looking back into Calum's. Calum looked calm. Calum looked ready. Calum looked beautiful. He tried to say Calum's name but nothing much came out. But Calum understood, and he leaned forward and kissed Luke again.

Finally Luke got to touch Calum's face. He brought both hands up and held Calum by the jaw, running his thumbs lightly over his cheeks. The kiss was slow and kind. Calum's lips were full and soft against his own. It was everything Luke had hoped for.

Calum loved the way Luke held his face in his hands. And he loved the way he could feel the tip of Luke's elfin nose on his left cheekbone. He didn't know where to put his own hands. He needed a better way to sit, a better way to face Luke. And this time, there was no fear of hitting the window switch—no fear of this moment ending. He shifted position.

All at once Luke felt Calum's lips leave his. He waited a moment as Calum turned, bringing his leg up and straddling Luke in his tight black jeans. Before he could say anything, Calum gripped Luke's hair in his fingers and kissed him again. Luke sighed and placed his hands on Calum's hips. And when he opened his mouth and Calum slid his tongue in, he squeezed at Calum's sides. Calum pulled gently at Luke's hair and he tilted his head back a little further in response. Calum kissed him deeper, and Luke struggled to keep back a moan. After a few more moments, Calum slowed down. He kissed Luke lightly, once, twice. Luke began to squirm underneath him.