thirty four | divine intervention

Soo sorry for how late this update is, but don't worry it's so worth it :) 

I feel as if the wind has been knocked out of me, all the oxygen in my lungs escaping from the cage of my ribs as I process Tyler and Benjamin's betrayal. They are like my brothers, I vouched for them, I cried for them. And here they are, aiding the man who has tried to kill me and everyone I love.

"Alessandra, what is it?" My father whispers, and I jump slightly. I remember we're still in the hall, pressed against the cold of the painted walls.

"Nothing, papa. We need to wait for the people to go away."

He nods, and I listen for more footsteps or voices. The halls are silent once again, as if we were the only ones here for years. I look around the corner, making sure the path is clear.

I grab my father again, and we slowly make our way down several more halls, all identical and eerily similar.

After a few minutes of walking, my father's labored breathes are too loud to ignore, and I rest him against a hidden wall so he can rest. He lays a hand over his heart, taking deeper and deeper breathes.

Octavius, where are you?

I mind-link Octavius, and wait for a response. There is silence.

Octavius.

Nothing. My heart skips and ignores several beats.

I try again, this time screaming in my head for Octavius, but the other end is silent, as if his head and mine have been trapped in pools of cement. I struggle to control my breathing, I need to be calm right now, for my father.

I try to tune into the pack-link, listening for anything at all. But silence is a common theme here as well, and I hold my breath.

Oh god, don't let them be dead.

I listen around me for any sounds of approaching guards or enemies, but there is nothing. I take the time to slide down the wall, leaning my head against it.

"Mother said, don't play with fire

As I stood by the pyre

Flames run high with yellow light

Embers rising to the night.

Goddess, Goddess, hear my prayer

The one with wisdom oh so rare

Goddess Luna, sing to me

Do so, and I might be free."

I don't realize that I'm mumbling the song until I look up to see my father's eyes filled with tears. I straighten up, and smile at him slightly.

"Before today," He whispered, his eyes wide with wonder, "I had forgotten that song."

I sigh, and rub my eyes with the back of my hand.

"Mama used to sing it to me at night."

My father's eyes glaze over, and I know he is lost in some distance memory.

"Her voice was so beautiful, she could tame any beast with her melodies."

We are silent for a moment, both swimming in a sea of songs and thoughts.

Alessandra.

I jump at Octavius' voice in my head, and I hurry to mind-link back.

Octavius, where are you?