Chapter 2: Weird Science

Comenzar desde el principio

"Good luck," I said warmly. "I hope you win today and get man of the match."

Robbie gave me the two-fingered sign.

I sat up straight and stuck my nose in the air. "Charming, I actually meant it." The positive feeling towards my family must have been caused from waking up all Christmassy.

"Yeah right," he said heading out the door. Never needing reassurance, Robbie left without even glancing at mum.

I could feel the un-rune heating up against the thin silky fabric of my trouser pocket lining.

Mum returned to the sink and pulled on the rubber gloves with aggravation.

"Well, the solicitor managed to track her down yesterday." She picked up a crumb-covered plate."

"Who?" I said, though I knew exactly whom she meant.

"Gladys Jones," Mum began hastily washing up. "The last time we saw her was at Great Aunt Minty's birthday and that was just after you were born so, over sixteen years ago," she shook her head, "so, I still don't understand why Jasmine Cottage was left to Gladys."

"Maybe they wrote to each other." I poured orange juice in the last clean glass and took a multi-vitamin out of the tub.

"No, Minty never mentioned her and Gladys' address wasn't in the book otherwise we'd have invited her to the funeral. We thought she was dead."

The sloshing and clanging suggested Mum was more than a little irritated. I smugly realised the subject no longer bothered me. Evidently, I'd grown in character overnight.

"Your Aunt Tracey also says Shelly's box of jewellery is worth a lot of money."

My stomach lurched. I didn't want to know anymore, but mum hadn't finished.

"Hum, fancy that. I didn't think my aunt approved of Shelly because of the way that girl treats her stepsister. It still makes me angry you weren't left anything."

I sat, silent and acidic.

"Can you start wiping up, Minta? I'm late for work."

Begrudgingly, I took the tea towel off the chair. I wondered how I could change my name without it seeming like sour grapes? Maybe I needed to work on my character after all.

"So what are you going to do after school?" Mum said, passing me a soapy plate.

Since Gam had gone, options were limited. Zara would carefully expel hours of effort on coursework and my few other friends worked various shops. Mum frequently suggested I follow their example, but I'd yet to be convinced.

"I might wrap presents." I only had four, actually, now three. The beautiful amethyst stone I found for Gam in a second hand shop in Lyme Regis would probably remain in the bottom of my draw, forever. Plate dried, I waited hand out for the next one. "Or I might see if Zara wants to come over."

Mum sighed. "Have you done all your shopping? That's good. I'm back in again this afternoon, I still have a few stocking bits to get." She lent over and nudged my hip with hers, troubles forgotten. Mum looked forward to Christmas - like a five year old. Whatever money she had left over after bills went on Christmas and on us.

I tried not to look too concerned. "Don't go overboard. We're too old for that."

She smiled a know it all smile. "You're still my babies and I'm still Santa. Like it or not."

I grinned; wishing things were a bit easier. Just a small windfall, I wasn't greedy. The money Gam had left Mum had gone towards fixing the roof before the money had even hit the bank. There was never anything left for fun. We finished the rest of the washing-up in comfortable silence and my blip into eternal bitterness ebbed away as I day dreamed about Christmas.