Part Ten

The Day Before

“Do we really have to take this thing again?” Moses was staring at the ancient black automobile. It had three bullet holes on the trunk from where the Agents had fired at them.

“Hey, leave my baby alone,” Xandre said as he patted the trunk affectionately. He pulled out a key, did something with it, and a second later the trunk popped open. “She might not be flashy or fast, but she’ll get us where we need to go and can’t be tracked.”

“I guess.” Moses shrugged. He walked over to the trunk, pulling his duffel bag from around his arm. It was full of about three weeks of clothes that he’d gotten from the drawer in the room he’d slept in. He wasn’t too into the latest fashions or anything, but even he could tell that most of them were way outdated. He hoped that fashion wasn’t too important in Assignment; although from the rumors clothing should be the last thing on their mind.

“Here, allow me.” Xandre said grabbing the bag from Moses with a large smile.

“Thanks.” Moses said. His shoulder was still pretty sore, he hadn’t had the time to go to the medic, hell, he hadn’t even gotten to eat.

“No problem.” Xandre patted Moses’ shoulder, Moses groaned in pain, and he instantly jerked his hand back. “I’m sorry! I keep forgetting!”

Moses shook his head and climbed into the backseat. Ally was already in the passenger seat fiddling around with some rectangular handheld device that he’d never seen before.

“So, are you excited?” Moses wasn’t sure if she knew where they were going, she seemed to think he was going somewhere fun. He was feeling a lot of things; anxious, worried, nausea, but ‘excited’ wasn’t one of them.

“Not at all.”

“Oh, come on, it won’t be that bad. Who knows, you may even meet a cute girl there.” She said smiling at him.

“True. Or I could die.”

“Are you always such a pessimist?” Ally turned around and looked at him.

“Are you always so happy?” Moses answered her question with a question.

Xandre’s door opened and he got in the driver’s seat. “You moved my seat, woman?!”

“Duh. You’re way taller than me, I couldn’t even reach the pedals. Shut up and let’s go. We don’t wanna keep The Boss waiting.”

Xandre mumbled something that sounded like ‘Tuck The Sauce’ and started the car.

“Why are we meeting The Boss?” Moses asked.

“He has something you need to get into Assignment.”

“Thanks, that’s specific.” He said sarcastically. “How long is the ride gonna be?”

“Only a few hours, you can take a nap if you want to.” Ally said as she fumbled around the floor looking for something. She finally found it—a long cord that she preceded to plug into the rectangular device.

“It better be good.” Xandre said lowly.

Moses didn’t think he’d be falling asleep anytime soon, he had too much on his mind. Images of Assignment flashed through his head. He pictured a dull, lifeless place where Soops were abused and experimented on endlessly. What had he signed up for?

The mellow sound of drums, a guitar, and a soothing voice began to play through the car speakers. Moses bobbed his head to the rhythm and found himself getting lost in the lyrics the smooth voice sang.