Part Eight

Moses sat on the small love seat in front of Lync's disheveled bed in an awkward half-sitting half-lying position. His back was resting on the seat cushion and the rest of him was hanging off the couch with his heels propped up on the floor. It was the only way he could sit without irritating one of the numerous minor injuries that he had acquired training with Xandre. Had he known that "crash course" actually meant that Xandre was going to send him crashing into every inch of the training room--the walls, ceiling, floor, mats,--he probably would have gone back to sleep this morning.

 "And you're sure he's actually ready this time?" The Boss's voice came from outside of the door. Moses quickly sat up, causing himself to wince as pain shot from his bruises. The brown door to Lync's room opened and Xandre walked in behind The Boss.

 "Yeah. I just spent the last three hours kicking his ass every way from here to Mars. He'll be ready for anything a Sec can throw at him." Xandre and The Boss had taken the seats on the couch, in front of the sleek white iVision. Moses wanted to point out to the two of them that he had gotten in a few hits of his own but he didn't want to jump into a conversation he wasn't a part of. Not with The Boss in the room at least.

 "Well then," he said turning his head and looking at Moses. "I guess you and I will just have to step back into the ring and let me be the judge of that, huh?" He cracked his knuckles for added effect, or maybe just to crack his knuckles, he seemed like that rugged, masculine type that reveled in intimidating everyone around him. He was definitely good at it.

 Moses shifted nervously in his seat, causing a bruise on the back of his leg to brush against the seat's stitching painfully through his pants. 'Getting back in the ring' with him was the last thing Moses wanted to do and just the thought of it had sent a shiver down his spine. Fighting Xandre for three hours had been hard and painful, but it had been nothing compared to the minute he'd spent fighting The Boss.

 "I don't think that'll be necessary. I'm ready this time."

 "Let's hope so." The Boss said, then began talking to Xandre again. Moses was staring down at the couch, absentmindedly fingering the brown fabric of the couch; his mind had regressed back to the fight earlier.

 The Boss had walked into the training room to let them know that it was time for Moses to start getting prepped to go to Assignment. The Boss had been like Moses' savior in that instant, he was finally going to be done with all this work. He might even be able to get some food. Then The Boss dashed all of his dreams.

 "Before you go, let's see just how much you've learned." The Boss said and walked over to Moses. He looked Moses in his face, his oddly familiar eyes peering into Moses'. "Do you think you're ready?"

 "Yeah. I feel stronger than I ever have before." Moses answered confidently. And he did, he had more control over his Tekking than ever before.

 "Alright, I'll be the judge of that." The Boss turned around and began to walk away slowly. As soon as The Boss's response registered in his head he began to pull power from the center of himself. He kept pulling until he felt like he was going to blow, leaving him with a heavy bloated feeling once he stopped. But he figured he had enough power to take whatever The Boss was going to dish out now.

 The Boss stood a few feet away from Moses, with an amused grin on his face. "Ready?" He asked.

 Moses answered with a slight nod of his head and The Boss instantly sprang into action, leaving nothing but air where he had just been standing. It was right about this moment that Moses realized that no matter how much power he had drawn he was still in way over his head. He could feel the hairs on the back of his neck prick up in anticipation for The Boss's oncoming attack. He whirled around just in time to see a fist being thrown directly at his face. His reflexes kicked in--faster than he thought possible--and he dodged the fist by leaning his face out of its path. He barely even saw The Boss's leg come off the ground before he felt his foot crash into his stomach.