Chapter Ten - "Incomplete"

Start from the beginning

“This year? Bungee jumping with you. Worst moment.”

I grinned, “That’s mine too actually.”

“Wait, favorite or worst?”

“The former. I don’t have a worst. At least, not yet. Favorite word.”

He chuckled, “That is so weird. I don’t think I have one. I suppose you do.”

I smiled, “Anachronism.”

He stared at me curiously, half-amused, “You are so weird. Is it the actual word, or what it means?”

I shrugged, “Neither. Both. What’s your favorite part of leaving?”

He stared at the sky thoughtfully, “That’s a little hard. I’d say . . . Brooklyn. I’ve never liked it, so I am glad about that.”

“Worst part.”

He stared at me silently and wordlessly for a minute, “That’s easy. Not seeing you everyday. All of you guys. You.

My heart sunk. I hadn’t let myself think that far yet. I let out a sigh, not particularly ready to think of anything. There was so much I was holding at the back of my mind, I felt like it just might blow from the weight.

“I have a confession,” I murmured, “I’m a little jealous.”

“Of me?” he asked with a scoff.

I nodded, “You have direction; purpose. Everyone needs that. You can’t just glide through life pointlessly; there has to be a point to everything you do. And you have that now. Not that you didn’t before, but now, it’s like the greatest purpose.”

“Are you unhappy?” he asked worriedly.

“Scared, tired, burdened. But not unhappy. Not even close,” I answered.

“What are you scared of?”

“Life,” I said, suddenly feeling a lump in my throat, “Change.” I closed my eyes to hold back any tears threatening to fall. I couldn’t say why exactly I was getting emotional – It wasn’t just the one thing, really. Fitch’s news, Trey leaving, my purposeless life, my sad past, and my seemingly inexistent future.

“Everyone’s scared of change, Chloe. It’s how you deal with that fear that matters.”

I sighed, “‘Things change. Friends leave. Life doesn’t stop for anybody.’ Stephen Chbowsky,” I said unequivocally.

He smiled, “I’m not leaving. I’ll be back, and you won’t even notice I’m gone. Fitch is here.”

I frowned at him, “How does that compensate for you leaving? He’s my boyfriend; you’re my best friend. They’re not the same thing.”

“Fine. I’m leaving. Life sucks,” he said with a shrug.

I simpered, “There we go; now, you get the point.”

“By the way, I got you something,” he said abruptly.

“What for? I didn’t get you anything.”

“That’s okay,” he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone, handing it to me.

“Your phone?”

“Yours, now. I know you don’t have one, and there is no way I’m going to call Fitch every time I want to talk to you. For one thing, he’d get sick of me calling, cause it’d be a lot.

I gaped at him, “That is . . . thank you. It’s really sweet, but what are you going to use?”

“I already got myself a new one. My number’s one on your speed dial,” he replied with a grin.