I loaded our suitcases at the trunk of Mom's SUV while she was sitting shotgun, putting her mascara on.

I locked the front door and sighed happily as I walked towards Mom's Acura RDX, which she was letting me drive for the first time in months.

"Dad says he's getting you a car," Mom says as I turn the ignition.

She's kidding.

"No way," I say, laughing. Seriously?

I didn't think they were getting me a new car until I was around 22!

"Yeah, we talked about it last night," she says, smiling at me genuinely. "He says he's getting you a car because he was too much of a dick and left me alone to raise you, so he thinks it's fair that he'd be buying you a car."

"Mom, you're kidding," I say, a smile playing at my lips. "You're kidding."

"I'm not, I swear!" she says, still smiling.

Why is she smiling? She seems so happy.

"What are you smiling about? You seem so giddy," I ask suspiciously.

She chuckles.

"You're never get to drive my Acura anymore," she says, patting tha dashboard lovingly.

I bet that wasn't the only reason, Mom.

"You're excited to see Dad, aren't you?" I ask her, smiling slightly.

It was really nice to see them getting back together.

A black convertible from my right suddenly swerves, blocking the way.

I step on the brakes.

A guy gets out of the car, wearing a pair of dark shades.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I yell at the bastard, getting out of the car.

Hell, this is a freaking subdivision! Who would be stupid enough to miss the only car on the road?

He looks at me pointedly.

I know those eyes.

"Elias," I smirk.

Mom gets out of the car and decides to join the drama.

"Eli, what are you doing out here? It's 7 in the morning!" she says.

"Mom, get back in the car," I order, and she does. At least she knows she better not to get on my bad side.

As soon as I hear the door slam shut, I turn back to Eli.

"I thought I told you I needed time," I say through gritted teeth.

"So you're leaving? For the whole summer?" he laughs humorlessly. "Don't even try denying it, Summer. Mrs. Lockhart told me everything."

I turn around to glare at Mom through the windshield.

"I need to think about this, Eli," I say, crossing my arms over my chest.

"What is there to think about?" he says, his face filled with sadness. "I miss you, Summer. I need you."

I stare at him blankly.

"I'll miss you too," I say simply.

"Please stay."

"No."

He's used to being able to push me around to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants.

Now I just needed to man up a bit and fight for myself.