Chapter 1 - The Lie

Start from the beginning

I rock her back and forth gently as she starts to whimper. "Oh, no baby. I'm so sorry." Her cries get louder and suddenly she's full on screaming.

This is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

"Give her to me, Rose," Cato says calmly, his voice reaching over her cries. He speaks sternly, in his no-nonsense, 'I'm the boss' tone.

I know that I'm killing him by not letting him hold Willow. But, I'm apprehensive because who knows how else he has sold our daughter. He would never hurt her, that's for sure, but he's already causing tons of damage and she's barely out of the womb. It's selfish, but I need to consider the well-being of Willow, something he clearly didn't do when he agreed to partner up with Snow.

My attempts to console her are not working. All of the rocking and shushing just makes her scream even louder.

"If you do not give me my baby girl, I'm going to raise hell," Cato says lowly, taking a single step towards me. His cheeks are flushed red, his jaws clenching, and he points a finger at me. "Don't you dare fucking test me right now."

I take a step back. "Are you trying to scare me?"

Cato's face immediately softens. "No, Prim, I just want my daughter." His voice is calmer, putting me at ease. "You're not giving her to me and it's killing me. I just want my baby."

He's right, I really can't deny him his daughter. I just hate that he can do what he did and still expect my baby to be safe with him. She is squirming now, almost like she's itching to get into his arms.

I finally give in and hand Willow over to Cato. His body instantly relaxes and he walks away from me with Willow screaming in his face. I watch carefully as he consoles the red faced newborn.

Watching Cato with Willow... It's the most beautiful sight. That's one thing I can never deny: how absolutely amazing he is and will always be with Willow. I knew he would be the best father in the world.

Well, considering everything, let's see just how true that is.

"Daddy's so sorry. He won't yell at Mummy again," he whispers to her softly, rubbing his nose against hers. "No, never again. He loves Mummy, but she's mad at him."

Damn right, I'm mad at him.

I roll my eyes and walk away, diving into the fridge to find something to eat. I'm not very hungry, more sore than anything, but I should probably eat. I don't think Cato has eaten anything either, so maybe I should make him something. He probably woke up and has been taking care of Willow all morning, not even thinking to care for himself for a slight second.

I'm halfway through cooking some french toast when I realize that Willow isn't crying anymore. I peek over at Cato, who is sitting on the couch with her cradled on his arm. Her little face is scrunched up slightly, ready to cry again. Cato rubs his nose against hers again and kisses her forehead, softening the tiny wrinkles forming there.

She's okay.

I finish the French toast, and I've even made some for Cato, even though he deserves a kick in the balls.

My brain doesn't know what to focus on at the moment. I can't decide on whether I should smile or cry as I cut up the toast. Katniss could be sitting on my couch tonight if she's alive. Haymitch could be calling me 'sweetheart' and finding some subtle way to insult me without really insulting me. Cato's dad could be meeting his only grandchild for the first time. It's a blessing and a curse to have this hope.

It still hurts that they're not here with me, but I was just starting to accept the fact that they are gone. I've been dreaming of the day that Katniss could meet Willow since the end of my first trimester. I could imagine her being in the delivery room, cheering me on, and crying when Willow was finally born. I can just see her sitting on the couch right now, rocking Willow to sleep, singing the same songs she sang to me when I was younger.