There was a low rumble of comment.

"We must remember that the Rituals of Melophe have served us well, keeping us aware of the preciousness of our great good fortune to be living on land so willing to yield abundantly. All my invention will do is to permit a yet greater harvest, some of which can be stored in large sheds to help us even-out the somewhat slower seasons, letting us consume more, giving us greater strength, assuring us that we will never face a time like the one portrayed in our Myths---starvation induced by disagreements..."

After a slightly less energetic round of discussion, the Confederation reached a majority of yeas---those who still disagreed leaving abruptly.

~~~

Melophe stirred again, causing tremors in her mountain, sending the lumber workers scurrying for their boats.

"Magura, how dare you!"

"What now, sweet Melophe?"

"You influenced the vote on Delmar's invention!"

"I did?"

"There is no doubt, I sensed dark thoughts in some minds of the Confederation---wishes for the death of those who support maintaining my Rituals."

"And, what of my rituals?"

"You have no rituals with the people---it is our Agreement---Rituals for me and Impulses from you."

"Correct. Delmar is merely acting out one of my Impulses..."

"An Impulse that will negate one of my Rituals!"

"So, give them a new Ritual. But make it a strong one because I am demanding from them a new Ritual---dedicated to Me!"

"You sunder our Agreement...?"

"I strongly propose a new Agreement..."

"I have no recourse but to influence one of them as you have influenced Delmar."

~~~

The woman who stood up to Delmar on Founders Day, Selkur, was wakened by the force of a dream. She hurried to her desk to write down the words she'd heard Melophe speak:

Insects will breed agressively.

There will be rot in the crops.

Delmar must be restrained and his invention destroyed.

My ways and the ways of Magura must remain in balance.

Warn the people!

~~~

Selkur took her mission very seriously. Only a few of the oldest islanders gave her full attention; yet, even they cautioned her against opposing Delmar.

Most folks laughed at the "predictions" she posted in every public building.

Laughed until they began to notice a few more insects than normal.

Still, they chuckled when she passed them, a scowl of determination on her face.

~~~

When the rotting of crops still in the ground began, Selkur petitioned the Confederation for an open debate between her and Delmar.

They refused.

~~~

The very next year was the saddest in the history of the island.

Twenty percent of the people died...

~~~

Delmar had never had a dream till the night of the celebration of Melophe's Miracle---an ancient Ritual practiced by only the very oldest members of the island society.

It was a dream of chaos---insects eating his body.

He woke in sweat-soaked sheets, rose to find Selkur staring at him through his window.

He screamed: "Vanish, you witch! Leave me in peace!!"

Selkur slowly retreated...

~~~

Magura imperiously contacted Melophe:

"I shall put an end to your rebellion!"

"My rebellion? You are the one who started this war..."

"You are the one who is causing the people to die!"

"They are only people..."

~~~

Selkur now had many of the folk in her cause.

Some were brave enough to ruin some of the metal Equalizers in the fields.

This led to supporters of Delmar searching them out and killing them.

There was nothing the Conferation could do to stop the mayhem---both sides of the struggle taking revenge for the latest insult from the other side.

The day finally came when the last islander found themselves at the center of the island.

They sat on a rock---mourned the passing of the people---cried themselves to death...

~~~

At the moment the last islander's soul ascended, Melophe and Magura winked out of existence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you liked this story, please consider giving it a vote...

If you can't wait for me to put all 31 stories here (one per week), head over to nfaa.wordpress.com and look in the left side-bar to find all the stories---that side-bar also has a free book of poetry, a free novel, and a free fable :-) {NOTE: if you're on your phone, you'll have to use your general "Menu" button and find something like "Request Desktop Site" to see the left side-bar :-)

Next story on Tuesday (USA-time), March. 1st :-)