Chapter 10 - A Welcome Distraction

Start from the beginning

"Cyrus is no longer in Dragonwall."

"I do not understand your meaning." His expression did not change.

"My meaning is as I have said it, Your Grace. Cyrus is no longer in our kingdom. He is no longer in our world."

His eyes widened. "That's impossible."

"I do not think so. Cyrus traveled through the Gate. I saw it—the Kengr Gate."

The king fell silent. His eyes went unfocused, unseeing. She'd seen the look before. He was communicating telepathically with his Shields—telling them of Cyrus.

He leaned back against his chair. "Why would Cyrus resort to such madness? Why would he travel through the Gate?"

She opened her mouth, then closed it. There was no sensible reason—none that she could think of. The gates were portals. Each led Beyond. Laws against their use were put in place at the forming of the monarchy. Some said it was to keep people from disappearing. But the real truth was, it protected Dragonwall from whatever came through. No one knew what lands lay beyond, and not a soul cared to learn.

"And the thief?" his question brought her mind back to the present. "Do you think he is responsible for this mess?"

"I..." She shook her head. "I don't know. I only saw his eyes—his blood red eyes." She could neither confirm nor deny the thief's involvement. Red eyes in a vision offered little in the way of answers, but her gut feeling suggested he was to blame.

The king fell into a broody silence.

She glanced around his study, affording him time to think. Her eyes fell on the cream curtains fluttering in the early morning air. The sky was a dull gray. Dawn was approaching.

His voice made her jump. "He can't be dead. Perhaps he was simply unconscious when he fell. There is still hope."

"I shall pray, Your Grace, I shall pray for his safe return."

"Reyr..." His voice was little more than a whisper. "I hope Reyr finds him." He sighed and turned his gaze towards the curtains and balcony beyond. His tower had seven at various levels.

"He's been gone a long time," she mused. When Cyrus had failed to return, King Talon sent Reyr, Jovari, and Koldis after him. Only Bedelth and Verath remained in the capital. The king could not risk sending any more of his personal guards.

"Indeed." The king sighed. "Far too long."

"Do you think he will know to follow Cyrus through the Gate?" she wondered.

"It is all we can hope for, Lady Saffra." There was a long silence.

"So...what are we to do now?" she asked. She wiped another stray tear. Cyrus was like a brother to her. Her heart ached.

"We must inform the Lower Council. We have hidden this matter long enough. I will need you present—to fulfill your duty."

Her muscles went taught. "Very well. If you command it. May I be excused?" She stood before allowing the him to answer, discarding his cloak upon the chair.

"Yes. Yes...of course." His voice sounded pained and far away.

He didn't see her as she curtsied and bid him farewell. She fled the tower for the open corridor beyond, wishing none of this had happened. Would that she could leave it behind as easily as the keep's corridors as she exited out into the open morning.

The sun was not yet free of the horizon. The breeze rustling in the open courtyard dried her remaining tears. With a tormented mind, she crossed through the south wing's courtyard and made her way back to her chambers.