Chapter 9 Part one

Chapter 9 part one

*******************************

A couple of days after Jacob had left all the ladies decided to go to town. Caleb had taken the film in to be developed and they wanted to pick up the pictures. They had asked for three sets, one for Ruth, one for Natalie, and one for Beth. After picking them up they went to the diner for lunch. While they were waiting for their food to arrive they looked at the pictures. They were looking at them when Caleb came in and he asked to join them. He sat to his mother's left next to Ruth, across from Amy.

Seeing Caleb sit down the waitress brought his food right out to him, he had called an order in as usual. She told the ladies that theirs would be ready in just a few minutes and left. They resumed looking at the pictures. Ruth noticed that Caleb hadn't said anything but was looking intently at one particular picture. Wondering which one it could be to cause that look on his face she looked over his shoulder to see. It was the one of him sitting next to Jasmine while he held Elijah. Jasmine was tickling Elijah's tummy and Caleb appeared to be looking at her tenderly. Ruth straightened up and looked from her sister to Caleb. She was the right age, but no, they couldn't possibly know each other that well. They had only seen each other briefly two summers ago and at the wedding. Besides he didn't seem awkward around her. He treated her like he treated Amy. Shaking her head she thought; "No, it can't be Jasmine."

Ruth didn't have any more time to ponder over it because the waitress arrived with their food. They put the pictures away so that they could eat while their food was still hot.

While eating Caleb told them that Benjamin and Delilah's house was finished and they were moving in. Benjamin had also told him that he could live in the apartment over his law office since he wouldn't need it any more. They all agreed that it was a good idea. They never liked the fact that he had been living in that poky little room anyway. The apartment was just across and down the street a couple of buildings so it wasn't far to walk to work.

Caleb finished his meal rather quickly because he had an appointment arriving for a shave and haircut and he didn't want to be late. Ruth watched as he said his goodbyes and noticed that he didn't treat Jasmine any different than the rest. Jasmine certainly didn't show any partiality toward him either. Putting Caleb out of her mind she rejoined the conversation.

Ruth felt the rest of the time with her family past all too quickly. The morning arrived for them to depart for home. The luggage was packed along with a picnic basket loaded with food. Natalie was in tears as she hugged her daughter goodbye and kissed her grandsons one last time. Jasmine said her goodbyes too, wishing that she could visit longer, but she had to get back to help Jacob. He would be taking some agricultural courses at the community college and she would be filling in while he was in class, whether it be in the morning or evening. Joshua gave Ruth one more hug, shook Adams hand, and ushered his family into the car and drove away. Adam had his spare arm around Ruth as they disappeared from sight. He needed to go milk but he couldn't stand to see his wife in tears. To get her mind off of the family he asked her to bring the boys and come help him milk. She quickly agreed and put the boys in their strollers and grabbed the diaper bag she kept ready by the door. He was glad he did because before he knew it the tears disappeared with her mind occupied.

Back at the main homestead Zach, Beth and Amy were enjoying breakfast when they were interrupted by a knock at the door. Amy went to answer it and came back followed by Sheriff Gunter Gunn. He had his hat in his hand and a serious look on his face.

Zach stood and said; "You're just in time for breakfast Gunter, have a seat."

Clearing his throat he said; "No thank you Zach, I am here on official business. Am I correct in saying that your daughter-in-law, Ruth, was a Worthington, and her family has been visiting her, and are their names Joshua, Natalie, and Jasmine?"