Chapter 7

Sorry I was a day late. I got busy working on my story for the sports challenge. Well here is this week's chapter plus I am going to give you the next one also. Enjoy happy reading. Tigger

Chapter 7

*******************************

Early the next morning Caleb loaded his bag into his truck, making sure that the shop was locked up tight, before getting in. He made his way to his parent's home arriving early to the delicious smell of bacon frying. That was the one thing he missed when he moved out, his mother's home cooked meals.

Nobody was around when he let himself in. He hollered; "I'm home!"

Beth, hearing him, poked her head around the corner of the kitchen and told him; "Hello son, you're just in time for breakfast. Go put your things away, wash up, and when you come down I'll have a place set for you."

Caleb said; "I'll be right back" and headed for the stairs. He ran up the stairs two at a time with his bag swung over his shoulder. He reached the landing and was heading to his bedroom when Amy's door flew open and a body came rushing out knocking him to the floor. He shouted; "Amy, look what you've done! Help me up!" Grumbling, he grabbed at the hand reaching down to him and pulled himself up, only to come face to face with Jasmine.

"I'm sorry Caleb; I was racing Amy to see who could get to the dining room first." As soon as the words were out she regretted them. He was never going to see her as grown up if she kept acting like this. She quickly asked; "Are you all right?"

Before he could answer Amy, who had come up behind them asked; "What's going on? Oh it's you Caleb. Last one down is a rotten egg!" and with that she took off running for the dining room.

Shrugging, Jasmine took off after Amy; however, she walked until she was out of Caleb's sight before breaking out into a run. She never could resist a challenge.

After Jasmine disappeared from sight Caleb turned away, bent down, picked up his bag, and took it to his room. With a sigh he tossed his bag onto his bed. Then he went to the bathroom to wash up and headed for the dining room.

Everyone was seated at the table except his mother who was pouring coffee for everyone. He sat down in his usual seat across from the girls and waited for her to finish so that his father could say prayer.

When they were finished eating everyone carried their dishes into the kitchen and placed them by the sink ready to be washed. Caleb turned to follow his parents out the door when he felt a hand pulling him back. It was Amy and she said; "Where do you think you're going?"

"I'm going into the living room with mom and dad, where else?"

"You're going to stay right here and help."

"I'm company, I don't have to help. Besides, there's only room for two."

"That's what you think." Amy pulled him back into the room and said; "We'll draw straws to see who washes. Whoever gets the short one will wash and the other two will dry."

Caleb went along with his sister humoring her. However, when he drew the short straw he regretted his decision. Soon, to the delight of his two companions he was elbow deep in sudsy water. The girls were snickering and laughing while drying the dishes teasing him about dish pan hands, when, suddenly, Caleb launched two handfuls of suds at them hitting them square in the face. Caleb doubled over in laughter as they sputtered blowing suds from their mouths and nostrils. Before he knew it the girls were grabbing handfuls of suds and lobbing them back at him. Their squeals and laughter were so loud they drew his parent's attention, and his father came through the door just in time to see Caleb pouring a cup of sudsy water over Jasmine's head.