Chapter Four

"I'm already running late, Jeremy. Pass me my phone already!" I yelled, as I jumped around Jeremy to retrieve my phone which he had took away from me.

"Quit playing, Jeremy," father snapped, as he entered the room. And almost immediately, Jeremy tossed my phone away, almost hitting the ground, but in time for me to catch it.

"Now, you should probably start making your way to work," father said, reminding me to look at the time which I must hurry already or I'll be late.

"What will you be doing today?" Dele asks, as we hopped into my car.

"I'll be taking care of toddlers. Helping them with the essentials and all," I said, as I started driving out of the lane.

"What do I do?" He asks.

"Watch."

He laughs a little, and then realises that I was being serious. I mean, there wasn't much for him to do anyways. The only reason I agreed to bring him along was because I couldn't stand how mother would continue nagging at me. I had to do what must've been done, and that was to agree to bringing Dele to my work place, which actually didn't excite me a bit. At the end of my mind, was the constant fear that Dele would somehow mess up and that'd only leave a bad impression to my co-workers and boss.

"Do I get to do anything else? Help out?" he asks, with the tone of a little annoyance.

"No Dele, there isn't much to be done. Just making sure the kids eat, have their nap and play," I strengthen my tone.

He kept quiet all the way, until we reached my work place, which wasn't too far away from the house.

He took a seat on the lounge area at the corner of the nursery room and started to fiddle with his phone as he looked at me welcoming the kids into the room. And in an hour, he had already ran bored with his phone.

Little Teresa, one of the kids, stood beside me as I handed everyone their lunches.

"Is there something wrong, Teresa?" I asks, kneeling down to her height level.

"Who is that?" she asks, pointing to Dele.

I heaved out a smile, as I noticed Dele smiling from a distance.

"He's a friend of mine, his name is Dele," I responded.

I then held her hand and brought her towards Dele, who then immediately threw his arms around her and sweeped her off her feet.

"What an angel," he smiles.

I got back to the other kids, preparing them for their nap time. It took me quite a while before finally, all of them were soundly asleep.

"Okay, it's nap time, Teresa," I said, approaching the two of them, who were seated at the balcony, admiring the scenery.

"Will I still see Dele later?" she asks, with her eyes almost falling asleep.

"Yes you will," I kissed her on the cheeks and tucked her in.

Now that the kids were all asleep, it would only mean that I have exactly an hour, before their parents would arrive to fetch them. I started cleaning up the 'play room', with a little help from Dele. And soon enough, the both of us sat on the couch, munching on some chocolate bar.

"I didn't know you were good with kids," I said, turning to face Dele.

"Ah, doesn't mean I have my time and life on soccer, I'm not good in anything else," Dele rolled his eyes.

I giggled, before he suddenly placed his finger on my lips, brushing off the bits of crumble away.

"You had something there," he says, still placing his fingers on my lips, before placing his palm on my cheeks. Everything around me froze, as I stared into his eyes; his beautiful, brown eyes.

His warm touch was welcoming and all I ever wanted to do was to jump into his arms and hold him tight at that moment.

"Sorry," he heaved a sigh, before taking his hands off my skin. We took too long. The opportunity was infront of our eyes but we took too long and time had ruined it for us.

Isn't it funny? How time's actually all we need. But at the same time, time actually stops the good things.

'We're running out of time' and 'We have enough time' is two completely different terms but is sure to do wonders.

Soon enough, parents were coming in to fetch their kids. And then, it was Teresa's turn.

"I'll see you soon," I smiled, hugging her tightly.

She giggled, before realising that Dele was still there.

"You're still here!" she ran towards Dele with her little legs, as Dele carried her and sat her on his lap.

"Be a good girl, okay. Take good care of your mummy and daddy," Dele says.

"I'll mi-sh you. Take care of her," Teresa says, turning to face me. I smiled at the sight of Dele, placing a small kiss on her cheek, before seeing her walk off, away with her parents.

Sometimes, the little things in life actually is the most beautiful things in life.