Chapter Three

"Something worth having doesn't come easy."

I let out a huge sigh, as I set my favourite novel aside. And finally, I have finished reading it, after three weeks. It wasn't much, but it was different. You'd least expect the situations to happen but somehow, it had been plotted and written in a way that is interesting, but still has its purpose.

5pm, mother should've called me down to help her prepare dinner half an hour ago, and yet, nothing. I made my way down, seeing the usual sight I would always see, Jerome, Jeremy and Jerich on the couch, playing FIFA. I would've thought that any time now, Alli might be beside them, or stucked in between them, playing along. And right before my eyes, he was in the kitchen with my mother, cutting the vegetables.

"Jasmine, there you are. I thought I'd call you, but Alli's a great help. Come join if you want to," mother smiled, obviously pleased by Dele. I squinted my eyes and sat beside him, indicating that I could do the same thing he was doing.

"Game's on," Dele whispered, as he continued to cut the carrots.

"Mother, I can help you with this," I said, and before she could even reply, I started cutting the potatoes she was cutting, a few seconds ago.

"Mrs Katherine, I got this," Dele said, as soon as he spotted my mother wanting to set up the plates.

"No, no, I got it," I said, stopping Dele.

"Oh, no, I think that I'm able to handle it myself," mother tried to stop us, but instead, it got even more competetive between us.

"No, mother, you should go and rest. I got this," I strengthened my tone.

"No, me," Dele interrupted.

"No, me!"

"Quit it, love birds! You both can wait in the dining room," mother yelled, sending us out of the kitchen.

I rolled my eyes before Dele could say anything and as I tried to walk away, he gripped my wrist, and pulled me towards him.

"Always competetive since young, eh?" he whispered, tucking my hair behind my ears. His face was close, as I felt the heave of his breath on my neck. It sent me shivers down my spine, as I reminded myself that he still had his fingers around my wrist.

I gently pulled away, making my way to sit beside my brothers, as I watched him leave the leaving room, towards 'his' room. Apparently, he'll be staying over at our place for a month, before the English Premier League starts, next month.

"What's with you and Dele?" Jerome asked, pausing the game on the television screen.

"Nothing," I replied.

"Like we would believe that. Really, what's up with the both of you?" Jerich jumped in.

"You totally like him," Jeremy added.

"No!" I squealed, hoping that they'd stop asking before Dele returns back.

"So you hate him?" Jerich asked.

"No!"

"So you like him?" Jeremy asked.

"Oh my god, the three of you, shut up," I snapped and right on time before Dele came into the room, taking the seat beside me.

We gathered in the dining room a few minutes later, around our big, circular table.

"Dele, tell us, how has it been for you?" father started.

"Honestly, it's a huge jump from who and how I used to be but, it's a better way for me and my parents," Dele replies.

"I've definitely missed this place," he added.
"Why don't you bring him around, Jasmine?" mothers words stopped me from feeding myself a spoonfull of soup.

"I have work tomorrow," I snapped.

"And it's one of my course works," I added, emphasising that tomorrow's work was crutial and that I couldn't miss it. Especially not for Dele.

"Oh I'm sure they'll alow Dele to tag along," mother smiles.

"Unfortunately, they don't," I replied, hoping that she'd buy it.

"They do," Jeremy interrupted.

"And how do you know that?" I rolled my eyes.

"Mother told me to check on the website and the only age group they don't allow to come is infants and I'm very sure Dele's old enough," Jeremy says, with a cold laugh underneath his breath, with made me shoot him with a strict eye.

"Watch out," I whispered to Jeremy, before heading up to my room.

I snuggled myself underneath my blanket, with the lights dimmed low. It was one of those cold, starry nights and right as I thought that it'd be a perfect time to shut my eyes, my phone started to vibrate beside me, causing me to jump out of my skin a little.

INCOMING CAL: DELE ALLI

I rolled my eyes, before picking up my phone.

"What?" I answered, with a rather harsh tone.

"I can't sleep," he whispers through the phone.

"Then what have you been doing for the past hour?" I asked.

There was a short pause before he responded,

"Thinking about you."

"Oh, what a joke," I heaved.

"Does it seem like I'm joking? I can't fall asleep."

"What's up? Why can't you?" I asked.

And almost immediately, he ended the call. I sat on my bed, confused at what had just happened and before I could get myself comfortable again, there was another interruption and this time, there was a knock on my bedroom door.

"Open up," Dele whispers from outside, which I wouldn't label it as a "whisper", as it was loud enough for me to hear it.

I unlocked my door and let him in, only to witness him sprinting to my bed and then burying his face flat on my pillow.

"Are you out of your mind? You're going to wake my parents up!" I slapped him with a pillow, before taking a seat beside him.

"No, it's just that..." he stopped to look at me.

"Everything's so different now and to be sitting here, with you, in this old neighbourhood, feels like a dream. It's been long since I've been here and I don't know, I.. I've missed this place," he continued.

We stared in blank space, in silence for a while, before I looked up to face him.

"You're always welcomed here," I smiled, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Promise me something, will you?" He asks, locking his fingers around mine, starring into my eyes.

"What is it?"

"Promise me that no matter how far I go, you'll always stay close to my heart," he says.

I smiled.

"I promise."