"That's Nuala," whispered Aengus. "She's Maeve's granddaughter."

"I thought you said originals were forbidden from having children."

"No, only the clan chieftain is forbidden, and only while he is chief. If he were to step down he could take a wife and have a family." My fears of abandonment kept coming true. Eamon at anytime could have stepped down and had a family. My mother wouldn't have had to raise me by herself, struggling to make ends meet, and I could have grown up knowing a father was there for me when ever I needed him. Not that I needed Eamon to be my father. It was just the thought of having a father seemed kind of nice. I never felt I needed one, but the past few days were proving me wrong. My head was all over the place on the subject. I didn't know if I wanted Eamon to be my father or not. I tried to take my mind off of him and focused on learning magic.

The girl woke from her daze, and stared at the two of us. Probably wondering how long we stood there before she caught on to our presence. She smiled at Aengus, and ran over to give him a hug.

"Aengus," she said releasing her deathly grip on him. "It's been forever, how have you been?"

"I'm well Nuala. How was your trip to the other clans?"

"Not good. My mother tried her best, but most of the clans would rather stay hidden and worry about themselves than join together to protect ourselves. The Tuatha are such a stubborn people, it's a wonder anything ever gets done around here."

"Nuala's mother is on the council with my dad," said Aengus turning to me. "They're trying their best to get all the clans to come together before civil war breaks out."

"Oh, Who is this?" She said, finally acknowledging me.

"This is Henry. He came to us a few days ago. I've been instructed to teach him our ways."

"Why doesn't he know our ways?" She squinted her eyes at me, looking me up and down trying to find out what secrets I hid with her eyes. I forgot that with my new clothes I blended in well with the clan. My hair was the same and so was my height. The only thing that gave me away was the fact that my ears were round, while theirs came to sharp points. As if on cue, Nuala noticed my ears with her hawk-like vision.

"Wait a minute. He's human! What is a human doing in our village?" The disgust in her words was heightened by the look on her face. She looked at me like I was yesterday's garbage thrown across her bed.

"Well he's not human, not exactly."

"What do you mean he's not human? I'm staring right at the human."

"Hey! The human has a name," I said getting annoyed that they were talking about me as if I wasn't there. "And it's Henry."

"No one asked you, human," said Nuala with another dirty look. "Explain to me Aengus what the heck is going on." Aengus did his best to explain that I was a halfling, and Eamon's son, but Nuala got angrier by the second. Her hatred of me was quite apparent. "So Eamon has broken the rules and the council has done nothing? And now we re suppose to accept him as one of us?"

"I may not agree with Eamon's decisions, but as long as he is chief I must abide by his rules." It was becoming very clear to me that I was not welcome in this village. The only friend I thought I had just admitted he was only following orders.

"Look, it's obvious no one wants me here, so why don't I save everyone the burden of dealing with me and just leave." I turned to go. Aengus tried to stop me but I pulled my arm loose and ran out the door, passing a confused Maeve on the way in. I was unsure of where to go, I had only been three places in the village, and two of those places I definitely didn't want to be at. Anger welled up in my chest and in my rage I didn't realize I was running faster than I had ever run in my life.

I knew I was fast before, but this was way faster. The entire village passed by me in a blur. My legs were powerhouses, pushing my small body farther and faster than humanly possible. Adrenaline pumped through my veins and the wind rushed past my face. Was this what it was like for the Tuatha? It was exhilarating, however it was very hard to stop. I ran past Aengus' house into the middle of the village, slamming into the side of the huge Crann Beathe.

My knees and elbow were scratched from the aging bark. Blood oozed from my wounds, stinging the fresh cuts. I winced the pain away and walked inside the vast hall. The warming light helped ease the burning sensation from my wounds, but it did little to help the pain in my chest. I didn't even know if Eamon would be there, sitting in his throne like a regal statue, but sure enough he was. The anger in my chest rose at the sight of his perfect self. How could he just sit there and act like everything's okay?  I thought. 

"Why would you ask me to come here? I'm obviously not welcome." I was yelling and I didn't care. Tears streaked down my face. "You broke the rules and now I have to suffer for it." Eamon kept his poised position. He did not yell, instead he spoke only in a whisper. Even though I wasonly steps away from him, I had to strain to hear his words.

"Henry, I understand your frustration towards me. You have every right to be angry. In your eyes, I've abandoned you and your mother." When he talked all the anger I had towards him disappeared. Something in his voice had a calming affect. I couldn't control my own emotions anymore. I didn't like it. "What else was I to do?"

"You could have left your throne and took us in."

"And what of my people? The people who look to me for guidance. I was supposed to abandon them because I fell in love with an outsider? I have a duty to my people, and now war is coming. I cannot just leave my responsibilities behind. What example would I be setting for the rest of the Tuatha? I broke our rules and my punishment was never seeing you or your mother again." I hadn't thought of how Eamon felt. I was too focused on myself. Yeah I was hurting for three days after finding out about my father, but he had been hurting for almost fourteen years. Yet everyday he chose the safety of his people over his own happiness.

"I'm sorry, Eamon. I was selfish. I didn't realize the pain this put on you. Even now you cannot truly be my father."

"It is I who is sorry. In my old age I have become weak and I couldn't leave this world without getting to know my son."

"What do you mean you are getting weak? You have lived for three thousand years and you look like you can live for another three without breaking a sweat."

"Magic, Henry. Magic binds me to this plane of existence, but it is slowly fading. If the balance of magic and nature isn't restored it will cease to exist, and with it will go the Tuatha." He hung his head low, the weight of the news he delivered bearing down on his shoulders. For once he looked like he had seen more years than humanly possible, and it was getting to him. "Please do not tell anyone what I told you, I do not want my people to panic. What little time we have left I wish them to enjoy peacefully."

"You have my word."

Quinn - A Tuatha Dé Danann NovelOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara